What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Booman Floral part two

Now that my plant has begun to make more little leaves in the crown, it looks like the new leaves have little hairs and possibly dew on the BACK of the new leaves forming. I've heard that P. agnata CSUF has this, but if it is P. Titan, could that trait have been brought into the cross? EDIT: Whoops, I wrote Booman Flower, it should be Floral.
smile_n_32.gif

-Ben

I can be fairly certain it is not a clone of Pinguicula gigantea. If those are, indeed, stalked digestive glands, then it might even be a sport of Piniguicula 'Titan'. If not, then it might just be an ordinary Piniguicula 'Titan'.

Some do seem to have dew on them, but not much. Is my plant making "winter leaves" right now?

-Ben

They certainly look as if they are beginning to shape up like winter leaves.

Here is an image of one of mine in winter leaf form:

p_Titan_winter.jpg

Ok, thanks. That does look similar to what my plant is doing. Will the plant flower as readily in this stage as when it has its carnivorous leaves?

-Ben

So far, mine haven't flowered in full winter leaf form. But, mine usually flower as they transition from winter to summer leaf form.

Ok. And, this kinda isn't about P. Titan, but do you have any photos of your P. moranensis 'Huahuapan'? I just wanted to know "what the plant should look like" as compared to mine.

-Ben

BobZ's photo finder is where I recommend looking for photographs to help clarify identification (its one of my favorite places), but they are not the end-all for CP identification, they are a collection of links to photographs posted by various independent growers, etc. Here is a link to the particular section you have asked about: BobZ's Photo Finder -- Pinguicula 'Huahuapan'

Was it Booman's "starfish plant"? If so, that is x Titan -- It sure looks like it. Joseph, yours is very interesting looking and very different from my x Titan. I would very much like to trade you something for a clone of that guy if you have any spares. Those leaf tips are cool looking - is that a definite ID on it? Mine drops down into the soil with vertically oriented strap shaped leaves that look like agnata during winter growth.

All the Pinguicula 'Titan' plants I have are all propagated from an original plant of Pinguicula 'Titan', I received from Edward Read.

I have several that look quite different from each other. I find that the vegetative appearance of Mexican Pinguicula plants can vary significantly depending mostly on the media, nutrients, light levels, and light duration.

Yes, it was the "starfish plant". I had already known that it was P. x Titan, but the fact that it was making these strange leaves made me wonder.

-Ben

So, the older leaves seem to be dying, and it's making more "winter leaves". What do I do now? Just leave it alone and let it do its thing? Oh, and would this be the time to repot it?

-Ben

If this is the beast I have seen at WalMart then I can assure you that it is 'Titan'. It matches my known clone 100%

Well, I guess it decided that winter was to be over in 2 weeks. Now it's growing normal leaves again....

DSCN2365.jpg

DSCN2366.jpg

-Ben

haha

Back