What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

P. macroceras ssp. nortensis

I'm thinking of purchasing a temperate ping to grow outside, and was thinking of a P. macroceras ssp. nortensis, and was wondering what the guidelines for this plant are, such as soil, light water, etc. Would P. grandiflora be easier?

Many thanks,
-Ben

well i would try to get plants from the members here first....CC has a gig variety of plants but prices and shipping just sucks... use them as your last resort.
Alex

Peter at California Carnivores believes in his customers having a good growing experience, so he has been shipping his plants in pots, much larger pots than most places do. Yes this costs more but you receive a better quality plant.
Soon his new website will be up and then check out his prices.
CC doesn't "suck" as alex say. They are jest the only retail nursery that are on line and open to the public also. Try wrapping a package when there are 5 or 6 customers in line.
Lois

hmmm. thats probably right i guess... i got a few plants from him back in december, D. adelae and P. 'Pirouette' the D. adelae was great and included some 15 plants in a nice sized pot. the same cant be said for the ping... basically it wasnt there. there were 2 or 3 tiny half inch across leaves scattered all over the huge 4 inch pot it never recovered from shipping. all that was keeping them in place(for mine anyways) was some tissue paper(like for gifts) and a small round cup taped over the pot. to me it was bad quality. but that was back in december so they may have changed since then. the next thing i will order from them is probably a tuberous sundew and that will be it. those is just my observations and other people may have different ones...
Alex

I have also received plants that were slightly uprooted from him, but I think it's just the fact that he ships plants in pots. He wants to have as little root disturbance as possible, but it is easy for the plants to get uprooted if the are shaken in the package, and aren't held down. Anyways, has anyone ever grown this plant before?

-Ben

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Drosera36 @ Oct. 29 2006,7:54)]I have also received plants that were slightly uprooted from him, but I think it's just the fact that he ships plants in pots. He wants to have as little root disturbance as possible, but it is easy for the plants to get uprooted if the are shaken in the package, and aren't held down. Anyways, has anyone ever grown this plant before?

-Ben
a non issue as far as im concered.................. 99% of the plants that arrive or leave here are bare root or close to it.........if your shipping a plant root disterbance is inevitable. the only truely reliable source for European Pings is Europe soooooooooooo if CC has them i wouldnt be complaining to loudly especially this time of year
smile_m_32.gif

EDIT: whoops, cracked a book over lunch and saw P. macroceras ssp. nortensis is a native...............would assume CC is as good a place as any to get them. never had any heartbreak over paying a lil more money for a much better plant. course i prefer trading to buying
smile_n_32.gif

The P. macrocerus ssp. nortensis is dormant already. You will be getting some smallish looking 'gemmea'. Might be best to wait until spring when they start growing again.
Lois

I am looking for some picture from this species and for the other P. macroceras subsp macroceras , specialy their flowers
have you ?

jeff

Have I found pictures? There are a bunch on google, and prolly more on Bob Z.'s photo finder.

-Ben

Back