What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is this guy normal looking?

My P. caerulea is making very interesting shaped leaves, which sort of pinch together at the ends. I've never seen this in any pics of this plant. Is it normal? Is the plant healthy? It seems to be making a flower (YAY) which is barely visible in the crown of the plant in the pic.

caerulea.jpg

-Ben

I don't think so. When I originally got it, the leaves had really incurved margins, more like a normal plant. I think it's just the light that I have that is different, maybe less intense. Or soil or something.

-Ben

I've seen that growth quirke several times before, where the tips of the leaves seem to be folded back on themselves, until they unfurl, yet still keep that obvious fold, but I really don't know what causes it.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (phissionkorps @ Nov. 04 2006,10:16)]thats strange looking! maybe its a TC mutant?
aww i love the mutants...dont make fun of them!!
Alex

Looks healthy, otherwise and a flower is a bonus.

Now the only problem is the height of the flower. Oh, well, I'm sure it'll be ok. I'll post pics soon of the stalk if it really is a flower.

-Ben

could it be maybe a non leathal disease or fungus? because I remember there being something about some mexican pings having very different than normal leaves after a mite infestation or something like that.

I think it has more to do with the conditions that it is in, maybe fungus, but leaves of plants getting distorted from pests is a different thing.

-Ben

Gr8 shot there, Ben
keep up the good growing.
lois

Thanks. I'll maybe try to feed something to the flower stalk....
banana2.gif

-Ben

that is one sticky flower...

K, well, here's the flower....but I think it's deformed or something...

dscn2435.jpg

DSCN2441.jpg

For one, the "petals" of the corolla aren't very long, and it isn't coloring up very much for some reason. Also, the flower stalk is only 5 inches tall. And in the second pic, you can see the spur is curved, rather than pointing backwards. Lois, did it do this before?

-Ben

My P. primuliflora had a relatively short flower stalk and a forward curved spur as well. I think that that's normal for the US warm temperate species.

P. caerulea is supposed to have the tallest flower stalk out of any of the warm-temperate pings, as far as I know, around 8-9 inches tall. And in all the pics I've seen, it has had a straight spur, but maybe it's also normal, I dunno.

-Ben

Looks perfectly normal for a clone with lighter colored flowers. I've had clones like that before, they are, however, uncommon. The flower stalks can vary tremendously in length and degree of uprightness, all depends on genetics and environmental conditions, creating a phenotype (the characteristics we can observe)..

Oh, ok, I didn't know that. I guess I kinda over-reacted as I usually do with new things.
biggrin.gif
Has this species been known to make seeds easily?

-Ben

Well I know that P. primuliflora does!
wink.gif.gif

Back