What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

P. lutea

K, since I was bored, I took a pic of my lil P. lutea (thanks Lois).

lutea.jpg

-Ben

Good photo, looks like a healthy little plant, coming along nicely.

Joseph,
what do you think? would it be okay to feed those (Ben's) ping some ground up dehydrated crickets, or is this the wrong time of year to feed them?
Thanx
Lois

I like to feed mine baby fish food (powder).

-Ben

Sure, dried cricket powder sounds like a good Pinguicula food. As long as the plant continues to get good light, otherwise as the food rots it can have a deleterious effect on the leaves. I usually overcome this by spritzing periodically with pure water, after feeding.

The sphagnum looks great, too!

Ben , whatever works. Maybe I'll try some fish food too.
Lois

I've noticed that whenever I feed fruit flies or smaller flies to my warm-temperate pings, and nothing else in my terrarium, the old carcases get moldy. I've also noticed water droplets condense on the under side of their leaves, but not on any other plants. Maybe just because I keep them really wet?

-Ben

I had something similar happen recently. whenever, I try to start nepenthes from seed. I also place a ping in the corner of the pot, to catch the inevitable fungus gnats that occur. When I looked in the bag last week , there were these molding carcusses on the ping.
I think your right Ben, too much humidity.
Lois

But what's interesting is that this only occurs on the warm-temperate pings, not on the mexican or the dews. I guess just the humidity around the plant itself.

-Ben

BTW I thnk it was a mexican ping.
Lois

Back