What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pinguicula (Pachuca) ?

Joseph Clemens

Staff member
I've had this Pinguicula for quite some time. It grew and propagated easily, bloomed, and showed pale pastel colors in the foliage. I suspected it was lacking something in my culture of it. I always thought it should have darker colored leaves and be more robust. Well, finally, with the recent additions to my growing technique it is looking even better than usual. I really would like this plant to have a name, other than the place, from whence it came? Is that correct? Did it originate in, Pachuca? What species is this plant? Is it a new undescribed species?

P_Pachuca2.jpg

Nice plant Joseph.Yes it would be nice to have more information on this and many other plants.May I ask who sent you this plant?I have one coming from a online vender.

Jerry

I received my start of this clone from Ed Read. Thanks Ed.

I happen to have a plant of this cultivar or species, whatever it is. I got it from Throckmoron. Maybe he can shed some light on its origins?

Fernando and Markus on the CPUK Forum have verified that it is found in Pachuca and slightly North of Pachuca, and that it is another form of Pinguicula moranensis, go figure. I am hoping to discover who is responsible for its being in cultivation.

Joseph, here is what is noted in www.pinguicula.org!
Peter

ORIGIN AND HISTORY :

No data. The only known fact is that it is not a Pinguicula moranensis. More information will be certainly available later.

Map / LOCALISATION :

No data. According to the name, it is likely that this Pinguicula could come from the surrounding of the Sierra de Pachuca, from Mexico, state of Hidalgowhere is situated the National Park of El Chico.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Hey Joseph,

I saw similar plants near Molango (which is not far N from Pachuca). To me this is a small form of P.moranensis, worthy maybe of subspecific status.

Check out my pics at this link:

http://www.pinguicula.org/A_world....6_1.htm

Best Wishes,
Fernando Rivadavia
I am more a splitter than a lumper, but I am predominantly a horticulturist and not a botanist, interested in plant taxonomy. I am perfectly happy using cultivars as the naming tool for we horticulturists, and letting the botanists use taxonomy for their own ends.

There are several images in the above link (in the quote), that show plants from Molango that certainly appear to be the plant I grow as Pinguicula sp. (Pachuca). It seems to be the opinion of Fernando Rivadavia that this is a form of Pinguicula moranensis. This is fine with me. I am looking into registering it as a cultivar.

Having many plants that are basically unnamed, really pushes the O.C.D. in me. For those who don't really care if they have one or a hundred plants with the same name, or no name at all --- try living with a little O.C.D. sometime. That'll cure ya.

I feel also that it is a form of P. moranensis from or close from the population in Molango but Laurent Legendre tested it genetically and noted that it is different from a P. moranensis  
rock.gif

The article can be read here :
LaurentLegendre 's article

any opinion ?
rock.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (epbb @ Nov. 19 2006,11:38)]any opinion ?
rock.gif
If it tested genetically different from Pinguicula moranensis, and since it definitely looks different from the same. Perhaps a taxonomist should check it out, even name it a new species. Myself, a horticulturist, I am looking into registering it as a cultivar. It has many excellent traits, including that it is fairly free flowering.

Back