What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

seedjar

Let's positive thinking!
So, I usually keep my Mexican Ping trays very shallowly wet constantly, because I don't generally get dormancy with most of my plants. But I haven't been watering as regularly as usual since I broke my leg, and last week I moved many plants into a dark room where there were no plant lights for a day or so. As a result, one or two of my Pings appears to be entering dormancy - P. ehlersiae and perhaps P. jaumavensis x debbertiana. The leaves have become slightly smaller in the crown and are folding in so that the glandular surface is diminished. Do they need to be removed from the wet tray until they start producing carnivorous leaves again?
Thanks,
~Joe

I was using dormancy in a vernacular sense, I guess - I understand it's not a true dormancy, but it means to me that my plants expect something seasonal to happen so it's roughly the same so far as I'm concerned. I saw this post, but I didn't know if you simply grew your Pings this way all the time or if you still changed conditions when ones begin producing heterophylla.
~Joe

As an example, I have several trays of Pinguicula gypsicola plants, under fluorescent lights on 24 hour per day, always with some water in them, some of them are in full summer growth, some of them are in full winter leaf form, some are in-between. All seem to be healthy. When I move large ones to shelves with shorter photoperiods they often bloom soon afterwards. One of my favorite things about the Mexican Pinguicula is how easy it is to make more of them with leaf-pullings, either leaf form works, so I just keep on pulling.
P_gypsicola_adj_5.jpg

Excellent, that's exactly what I needed to know. I had a P. moranensis give up on me once shortly after making winter leaves, and I had always thought that it was because I had kept it in a wet tray, but this makes me feel better. Thanks Joseph.
~Joe

Back