What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

joossa

Aklys
Hi everyone. So I finally decided to order my first Ping online. I wanted something that had similar growth and care requirements as a VFT. I currently am a VFT grower, so I figured a Ping with similar requirements (one from the US and not Mexico/Central America) would be the best starter.

I did some research and figured P. primuliflora fit the requirements I wanted (plus I got a great deal from my online vendor). My two questions deal with humidity/temperature acclimation and flowering:

Will I be able to acclimate my P. primuliflora to my outside conditions? I will place its pot in a tub instead of a regular water dish to maximize humidity for the plant (I read that they require relatively high humidity to thrive). I live in a high desert area in Southern California, that experiences hot temps in the summer (it does get up to 100-105F at times) and relatively low humidity. Can P. primuliflora acclimate to these conditions for the growing season?

One other thing I did not get to read in detail about is flowering. Do flowers need to be cut off a ping in order to maximize growth rate and appearance? Will letting the ping flower weaken the plant (similar to what happens to VFT’s)?

Thanks for all your help!
-Joel
smile.gif

nooooo! you have to let it flower! seriously though, its not too hard on them. plus they look cool.

You'll be perfectly fine!

My P. primuliflora have grown outside for me in very hot and cold temps throughout the year so they should be fine for you. They also don't seem to need that much humidity to survive as well.

You have to keep the flowers as well, they surprizingly pretty for such an easy species to grow

You ordered a P. primuliflora online? They're a 'dime a dozen" from any Lowes store (A/K/A cube of death). They are real easy to grow, once you get them past the neglect stage and produce plantlets on their leaves. They also flower profusely. They're indigeonous to the SE, pretty much where Farmer Dave hails from. So if you live in Southern Cal, they should do well outside for at least most of the year, perhaps all. Here's an old pic:

Pinguicula_primuliflora.jpg

I have never seen them at my Lowe's before; maybe I didn't look hard enough...  
sad.gif

Anyway, thanks for the responses. I am looking forward to growing it.

Wait untill it dies for no apparent reason.

Yay!

Alas... it is their will.

OMG Gir!

Anyways, mine died randomly as JLAP said just a few weeks ago, but there are now 20 or so babies where it once was.

-Ben

I love Gir ^_^

Awww... my bees!

Mmm...chicken and mayonnaise.

Sorry for hijacking your thread.

-Ben

alas, my local HI sotres cantain no canrivorous goodness... i would be so happy to find a few cheap neps at my local lowes

Don't go expecting N. Burbidgeae,N. Hamata,N. Glabarata,N. Villosa,N. Macrophylla lol

expect N. ventrata and at best you might get lucky and find one that has some easy and showy hybrids like my beloved N. 'Miranda' .

Back