What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

question on leaf pullings on narrow leaf plants

Ok, here's a question on leaf pullings....
do any of you trim down the leaves of some the narrow leaf ping species and hybrids before propagation?

I'm talking about P. moctezumae, P. gypsicola and their hybrids.

Many times it seems that the leaf dies back before producing plantlets, so i thought it might be good to trim the end?
Some of these leaves can be 4-5 inches long!

Peter.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (pingman @ Dec. 21 2006,8:25)]Ok, here's a question on leaf pullings....
do any of you trim down the leaves of some the narrow leaf ping species and hybrids before propagation?

I'm talking about P. moctezumae, P. gypsicola and their hybrids.

Many times it seems that the leaf dies back before producing plantlets, so i thought it might be good to trim the end?
Some of these leaves can be 4-5 inches long!

Peter.
With Pinguicula gypsicola, no. With others, no. Ziploc bags come in several sizes, thank goodness.
--------
<span style='color:darkblue'>Somewhat related experience:</span>
When I was showing off the first bloom of my new hybrid, (Pinguicula agnata (CSUF) x Pinguicula moctezumae), I inadvertently dropped it to the carpet in my living room. When I picked it up I noticed that most of the mature leaves were damaged and falling free of their attachment to the stem. So, to be resourceful, I collected them, cleaned them off, and put them in a small ziploc bag with a little dry perlite. Since several of the leaves had been broken into two or more pieces (long, narrow leaves), though I had no expectations for those pieces not having a portion of petiole to initiate plantlets from, I put them into the ziploc anyway. Wow, every piece formed plantlets, even those that were, effectively, leaf tips. The plantlets formed on the proximal ends of the leaf tips, as might be anticipated, and not the distal end.

I have so many leaf-pullings in various stages of development I honestly don't need any more efficient technique, yet. Perhaps you could try this with other species / hybrids / cultivars and let us know if it works with others besides my new hybrid.

Joeseph, very interesting on your "dropped" plant! I've always wondered if plantlets would sprout other than the basal end of the leaf. I guess it does!

Your ziplock bag method is a good ideal for these long leaf types. It worked well with my P. gypsicola.
Thanks,
Peter.

I could also be asking these questions! 2 weeks ago I gleaned leaf pullings from 20 species and crosses, including a P. moctezumae x kores and a P. gyspsicola. I have them all in slightly moist media, in baggies, in a closet at room temp, about a foot away from a 30W fluorescent light. I'm not seeing much in the way of leaf disintegration, and it's propabaly a little too soon to discern plantlets... but I'm hoping!
smile.gif

Don't worry, as long as the leaves aren't too wet, it's very nearly a sure thing.

Jimscott, it took about a 3 weeks before i saw any plantlets on my P. gypsicola. Now 2 weeks later there are little plants and the original leaves are starting to fade away.
I have not added any water to the baggie, it's fairly dry or just barely moist!

Good growing!
Peter

Then perhaps I shall see the same in another week or two!
smile.gif

Oh jim, you must introduce me to this gleaning thingy.
Lois

[b said:
Quote[/b] (pingman @ Dec. 26 2006,12:49)]Jimscott, it took about a 3 weeks before i saw any plantlets on my P. gypsicola.  Now 2 weeks later there are little plants and the original leaves are starting to fade away.

Good growing!
Peter
I just gathered several leaves for a shipment and all but one species / cross are displaying plantlets. The P. gypsicola is one of the ones with plantlets! The P. reticulata has to be the easiest to propogate.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ Jan. 05 2007,8:08)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (pingman @ Dec. 26 2006,12:49)]Jimscott, it took about a 3 weeks before i saw any plantlets on my P. gypsicola. Now 2 weeks later there are little plants and the original leaves are starting to fade away.

Good growing!
Peter
I just gathered several leaves for a shipment and all but one species / cross are displaying plantlets. The P. gypsicola is one of the ones with plantlets! The P. reticulata has to be the easiest to propogate.
Yep, those Pinguicula reticulata form plantlets up and down both edges of the narrower, petiole portion of their severed leaves which can be quite long and produce many plantlets.

when i visited the virgin islands, i was given a "love plant" leaf. the story goes that if you lay the leaf flat in a pot of soil, it will take root and sprout a new love plant, but only if the person who gave it to you truly loves you.

neat story, and the fact that a cute girl gave it to me rocks =P

anyways, i did as the story told and layed it out. about a month later, it took root. but not from the basal end of the leaf. you know how some leaves have those "veins" extending from the spine to the margins of the leaf? a single root dropped down from the tip of each of those.

not exactly relevant, but i thought it was a cool story to tell =P

Back