What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does P. primuliflora require dormancy?

joossa

Aklys
All the care sheets and information sites that I have read on P. primuliflora have not been clear at all as to whether this species requires dormancy. Some say that it needs a full 3-4 months of winter dormancy, others say that a "short" dormancy is fine, and others say that no dormancy is required.

So which one is it? I just got my first one in the mail today, and I am not sure if I should slowly expose it to the temps my VFT's are experiencing outside or if I should just leave it inside until the Spring.

Thanks!

i believe that it requires a cool winter dormancy that is not too long but not to short, like how it usually gets in the wild here in North Florida.

good luck!

Even in the wild I haven't noticed any obvious "dormant" behaviours, I've seen them in January, blooming through a hard film of frost-formed ice where they were growing in shallow depressions, (former tire tracks) with water in them. The foliage appeared the same as in spring and summer, though lying in ice-cold water. And certainly this may have been considered out-of-season flowering. I haven't given any of my SE USA Pinguicula any kind of semi-normal winter conditions for many years, and I believe though they are surviving, they are suffering from the lack of colder winter temperatures.

Thanks for the response Joseph.
smile.gif

Back