What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My first P. laueana flower

Joseph Clemens

Staff member
laueana_1246C.jpg
laueana_1263C.jpg

Wow, that's really nice! It has a really long spur, too. I guess this is the result of the cooler temps.

-Ben

All right Joseph!! Finally! And from the looks of it, it was worth the wait. What great red coloring!

Capslock

Cooler temperatures

Wow, that's really nice! It has a really long spur, too. I guess this is the result of the cooler temps.

-Ben
That's what I figure. Since they always form winter rosettes, no matter the conditions. Once these heterophyllous form species grow beyond small plantlets, they seem to have an internal clock that produces these winter rosettes, no matter the temperature, water level, or photoperiod. But obviously some need other environmental triggers, like temperature drop, in order to initiate flowering.

Well, I just tore the bottom of the flower off to cross it with Pinguicula hemiepiphytica. I think they will compliment each other. Hope I am right.

Really cool ping! When I saw this thread I was like "Oooo, isn't that the one with the red flower?!" Typically I'm not a fan of red but it looks REALLY nice on pings!

Thanks Ben, Capslock, JB OrchidGuy, and ChronoKiento. Yes, this is the species that has flowers in shades of red. This one appears to be on the orange side, but still is nice, and very unusual for a Pinguicula.

Yeah it does kinda look a little orangey. I think I like them better this way. :p

And yeah red is a nice change from all the purples and pinks and whatnot.

i want a P. laueana... its flowers are knockouts!!! would you be interested in a trade for some leaf pullings off that thing? :D
Alex

I love it. I wonder if you could breed it with others to create pale orange flower shades. Even peach. That would be interesting.

I have a cross with it and the tiny, pale flowered Piniguicula emarginata and that one has flowers that are so dark purple, they look nearly black. I just swapped pollen with Pinguicula hemiepiphytica and a few others. Of course, I could only put one kind of pollen to the Pinguicula laueana flower, but I used some of its pollen on several other species. Time will tell if any viable seed is produced, and then what kind of plants those hybrids create.

Exiting stuff man, I for one would be very interested in how that turns out, just for curiosity’s sake. Perhaps later I will even try pings again (my first one died before its first winter). That would be an exciting species to experiment with, even though I prefer attractive plants to flowers in pings.

Gorgeous plant and flowers , Joseph.
Congrats on the blooming . Good luck on the cross.

Back