What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wow ping propagating through flower stalks

Well for the heck of it after cutting 3 flower stalks that were done blooming on my Pinguicula primuliflora and they sprouted after about 2 weeks all these buds out of the sides of the stalks. I never heard of it before and tried it instead of throwing them out and here i got like 10 plant buds on the stalk. pictures soon

Yes, I've had a few plants sprout near the base of some Pinguicula primuliflora flower stalks, but since I already have scores of plantlets produced from their leaf tips, it wasn't such an important source for propagation.

Well that's awfully interesting. Are pings the only ones that can do that?

Vegetative apomixis is often seen and reported in Dionaea muscipula and many Drosera flower stalks. I usually use pieces of Drosera flower stalks, as well as leaves, when propagating by floating them in water, where they produce plantlets.

Yes, I haven't tried all my Drosera stalks (scapes??) since stuff like D.capensis doesn't need multiplication, but a few of them work real well- D.venusta makes LOTS of plants from flower stalk cuttings,for me at least, and IIRC D.collinsiae has done the same in the past- I should try D.aliciae too, come to think of it

As for Pings, I have a P.moranensis "A" that makes stalks that are 1/4" think, no joke, and I have just been letting them wither- thanks to this thread I might be able to actually use them rather than just pick them off when they dry out, thanks for posting this!

Ya it was just interesting to find this out from experience. Yes the plants produce alot on there tips to begin with but just figured id try. On rarer pings it would come in handy as you wouldnt have to pull leaves off. And you can just use a spent flower stalk which would be thrown out usually.

So let me get this straight....If I were to cut off the flower stalk from any random tropical Pinguicula species or hybrid and float it in distilled water, it would produce plantlets similar to a leaf pulling? Should the flower stalk be cut up or left whole? At what stage of development should it be cut?

Cheers,
Corey

I would think cut up- and as for when, I think as long as the flower is still kind of happening it should be good- unlike with Drosera, the "stalk" seems to die pretty quickly, as long as it's plump and living, it should be good...

And for Drosera at least, I just chop the stalk up into pieces and put it on damp prefferred media, so one could probably do the same with Pings

I've tried this with my D. filiformis a while back and they didn't seem to strike.

D.filiformis is best propagated with actual leaf cuttings- I'm sure there's a few types that this technique will NOT work with.

I am going to give my P.moranensis a go today and I will report my method and results soon :D

Back