What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I'm spazztic and stuff...!

My P. 'Sethos' is sending up a flower!!! I'm so happy right now, 'cause this is my first Mexican ping that has flowered. Thanks for the plant, Joseph!

DSCN3010.jpg

:banana2: :banana2: :banana2: :banana2: :banana2: :banana2: :banana2: :banana2: :banana2:

-Ben

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow! Where did you get your Pinguicula? Handsome specimen.

Kudos on the flower! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks! I got it from Joseph Clemens a little while ago.

-Ben

Ben,
And it is quite apparent that you are doing a superb job of growing it. Nice photo too.

Super! And I agree, it looks like you're taking really good care of it. Thanks for sharing. :)

Thanks again!

On average, how tall would the flower stalk get for this plant? I ask because the lights are pretty close to the plant, although there are gaps in between the fixtures.

-Ben

What a beautiful picture! I love that ping! What is the diameter of yours?

xvart.

Very nicely done!

Thanks!

xvart, it's about 2.5" across.

-Ben

Nice! That flower stalk should approximately 4", maybe 5. Grown in cramped conditions, the flowers usually develop and open where they hit the lights. I also had some of my plants outside make 2" stalks after they got hit by frosts, so if you're feeling creative you could give your plant a cold shock :-O
Peter

Drosera36 do you have a pic of the flower?
how far from the light is the ping? mine don't color up as well as that ping you have, same light same rack.
peace,
Zero

Nah, but it did open today. Just that it seems to be closing for the night already or something. Kinda sucks.

It's about 4 inches away from the lights.

Alright, here's a pic of it now. It was more open a few hours ago.

DSCN3196.jpg

It's a lot darker in real life.

-Ben

Your plants color is great.

Thanks.

Well, as it seems to be the case with many Ping growers, I can't seem to get the flower color to be as dark as it is in real life, although I haven't tried very hard. ;)

Here's a pic of it open.

DSCN3199.jpg

Are the chances good that this guy will keep flowering through the year?

-Ben

If your camera has a spot meter setting, spot meter on a petal then back the exposure off one or two stops. If not and it has an exposure compensation setting set it to -1 or -2 stops or somewhere in-between.

Thanks, that seemed to help a bit.

DSCN3231.jpg

This looks a lot closer to how the flower really looks.

-Ben

Is that with the flash?

Try with the flash, exposure adjustment -1 or so. Experiment :) - the beauty of digital cameras - instant gratification.

Cool ping! Is it growing in a really humid environment? I've been wondering about humidity and pings though mine seem to like the humidity in my room alone, which is low.

Back