What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First ping

stacker

slightly askew
Well I have my first ping. I got it of all places at a garage sale down the street. The lady said she bought it Lowes so I figure it is a primuliflora. Ill have to wait until it flowers to be sure. It is about the size of a half dollar and is about 1 inch tall. I only just started growing CPs they are quickly addictive. Cant wait for my new ping to flower.

A question, since pings are shallow rooted, can I plant this one in a tray type planter about 2 inches deep? I would eventually like to have a whole tray of pings.

Thanks for your help.
stacker

Give it a try. Even if it croaks, Lowe's will always have more. Then, when you get proficient at growing them, you won't need Lowe's any longer.

LOL, your right it is a common ping no harm in trying.

I have seen pings grow in an oyster shell. And they were not as deep as what you want to plant them in.

Yes I was just searching the forum and found that people are very creative with their ping placements and plantings.

Mexican pings have the real shallow roots and those can be propogated from like abalone shells, as illustrated in Savage Garden. P. primuliflora, which is highly likely what you have, has more developed roots and would be okay with 2" of media... but the deeper the better.

The pot it is currently in is about 3 inches deep and about the same across the top. I think I'm gonna leave it there at least until it flowers. Thanks for your help.

They do well right at window sills, open tray. Before long it will be sending up flowers and producing plantlets.

Back