What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mexican Ping Flowering Time and Growth Question

NeciFiX

Kung Fu Fighting!
An impatient topic indeed. For I am not a extremely patient person!

I received a P. John Rizzi from Bob Ziemer. It is not the pinkish orange or whatever colour it should look like, it is green. The outer leaves when I received it died, but it has since made new leaves. Three new leaves to be exact, with 1 more developing and a tiny one inside it.

The Ping was a quick grower, its first leaf after the fuss came up after about 3 or so days, the next about 3 days, the next only took about 1 day! It had come up, gotten ready to lay out, I went to school, when I got home, it was almost ready! I gave it some fruit flies since the leaves were very sticky (in the windowsill, it has since gotten a lot more) and then the new leaf coming in has made no progress at all, it's been there for a few days, so whats up? It hasn't done anything, it's just, sitting there. After it got fruit flies and grew rapidly, all of a sudden, nothing!

Also, when will it flower? I'm really interested in seeing the flower. It tried to flower as soon as it got here, but the flower turned white and died after a day. :-( I may just be being impatient, but it seems content in putting out tons of leaves instead of flowers. The old ones died off, and the ones in the center are dewless. Is this why? It wants dewier leaves so it can catch prey before it flowers?

Mexi-Pings follow their own schedule. :)

The lack of pink colour in the leaves is a light issue. Bright light = Pink Ping.

As far as growth and flowering, most Mexis go in fits and starts. what you are talking about seems to be the final burst before a leaf switch. If the new leaves are "dewless" then they are the succulent growth. If that is the case then the plant probably won't flower again for a while. Can not recall which group Rizzi falls under but Mexi-Pings are seasonal bloomers so it won;t bloom until it is its season.

The lack of pink colour in the leaves is a light issue. Bright light = Pink Ping

im not 100% sure what causes the pink color myself...................pings that spent last summer under our scorching summer sun were bright green.........brought them inside for the winter, placed them about 14 inches from some T8 flourecents and they turned nice and pink..........i know im not the only person who has noticed this happening.......

also if grown wet year round like some of us do some are in perpetual flower mode......i have flowers all year round, sometimes on the same plant but others will bloom for a month or two, take a break for 2-10 months and start blooming again.........unlike for Joseph C. my pings seem reluctant to go into succulent growth when grown wet where his go in and out but i think i have narrowed that down to a difference in soil recipies, i was using largely peat based soils and he is using largely mineral based soils........since ive switched to a fired clay type soil my pings seem more ready to go in and out of succulent leaves even though they are always wet............going to have to switch my Yucca Do plant into some clay soil as im told it only blooms out of succulent growth and after growing it for 3 years i would like to see flowers :grin:

BobZ had this partcular plant in full sunlight and it remained green.

The OLD leaves which were sent with BobZ did not have dew on them, now it's making dewy leaves.

The OLD leaves which were sent with BobZ did not have dew on them, now it's making dewy leaves.

thats a fairly normal reaction to shipping shock, dont think anything of it.

im not 100% sure what causes the pink color myself...................pings that spent last summer under our scorching summer sun were bright green.........brought them inside for the winter, placed them about 14 inches from some T8 flourecents and they turned nice and pink..........i know im not the only person who has noticed this happening.......
I've had similar experience with my pings grown in direct sun. The leaves got nice and green and a couple of the plants began to disappear until I moved them back inside by my window. ???

My theory, and this is based upon limited experience, is that flowering tends to occur after having been established for a good year, and has had opportunity to experience the full range of seasons.

Strausplants0281.jpg

IMG_0111-1.jpg

Is this for all pings in general? After only 2 or 3 weeks of settling in my now nearly dead P. primuliflora had two flower stalks and one opened.

Back