What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Feeding temparate pings

About a month ago I recieved 3 P. macrocerus and they seem to be doing fine but I haven't noticed many insects being caught so was wondering if it would be ok to feed them and fertilize them like we all seem to do with our Mexican pings.Do you all think it would have a positive effect in say produing a better hibernacula and maybe allow it to produce more gemmae.What do you all think?
Mark W.

I'd be careful about fertilizing, but if you can catch some gnats here and there and put em on the leaves, I'm sure it will be appreciated. You could just put it near some insects, chances are it'll catch SOMETHING to eat.

I don't think feeding CPs insects can have any adverse effects under normal conditions.

You can "grow" your own wingless fruit flies if you buy a kit.

Depends what you want. I find not feeding them makes for a colorful plant with a tight rosette.
I use beta fish food ground into a powder for feeding. It will produce larger plants although they may be greener instead of showing off there true colors.
A well fed ping may even produce more flowers and make for more natural splitting.
I have noticed this under my conditions you may get different results.
Hears a pick of P.pirouette a well fed one under a 400w MH light. It looks a lot different than most. It is flowering and splitting now a month after taking this pick. After I get a few backups propagated I will keep some on the thin side to see how they color up.
P4210183-1.jpg

Hope this helps a little.
Stephen

PS I just reread you thread and see you said temperate. I would think you will get simular results as mexi's.

if its catching bugs...then why fertilize? id rather be safe than sorry, plants dont get artificially fertilized in nature :)
Alex

Or fancy lights or fans or humidifiers or terrariums :) Fertilizers can do what nature can't do. You can have a well-fed that isn't covered in dead bugs that block out light (some plants can literally be totally covered). For example, if you are going to show off your plants you want the biggest, best, cleanest plant you can get. Makes pitchers last longer, too. And it's more sanitary and there's no risk of fungi.

How would you feed the pings using commercial fertilizer? As a foliar feed or root feed? If foliar, spray on the leaves or dribble? You'd use a really dilute solution, like one you'd use on orchids, right?

Back