What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Various pings from leaf pullings

xvart

Doing it wrong until I do it right.
Staff member
Here are some pings that have formed from leaf pullings that I got in the mail. I followed Joseph's advise with the plastic bag and LFS (actually orchid moss for me).

ping3.jpg

ping1.jpg

ping4.jpg

Talk about easy propogation. Any help with some ID's on these bad boys? The sender mentioned a few names as possibilities: titan, agnata, and gigantea.

xvart.

titan titan and agnata how long did it take from leaves?

titan titan and agnata how long did it take from leaves?

Thanks! I got them right around 3/1/07 so just about 2.5 months.

xvart.

Talk about easy propogation.
xvart.

Good job propagating your Pings.

Mexican Pings have to be the easiest CP plants to propagate.

All except P. gypsicola! I can attempt like 20 leaves and get maybe 5 to sprout.

Last edited by a moderator:
All except P. gypsicola! I can attempt like 20 leaves and get maybe 5 to sprout.

I planted 12 and got 2. That's like 16.7% success... I had my calculator next to me (pre-calc) and thought I'd get exact w/o having to think more than 5 secs. The rest all hover around and often above 50%. WHY MUST THEY BE SO ANNOYING AND BAD TO ROT!!!?!?!?

P. gypsicola are finicky.

Wait a sec... are P. laueana hard to sprout from summer leaves? ???
Anyone had success there?

I've had no issues with P. laueana from summer leaves. The winter leaves are so tiny i think it would be more difficult. I will say it's best to pick leaves that are not too old, and not too young.

Peter.

I got P. laueana to sprout from last summer (summer leaf), while paremt plant withered away. P. jaumavensis can also be challenging, both to ship and sprout.

With the ones I've had, I haven't even used any bags or LFS. I just sit them in a pot and they start growing, it's awesome.

I've done things both ways and I don't see a significant difference with success rates. At least with placing leaves next to the parent plant (Capslock method), you don't have to transfer a plantlet anywhere.

All except P. gyspicola! I can attempt like 20 leaves and get maybe 5 to sprout.
Try putting the leaves immediately into a plastic cup or shallow plastic container, keep in a humid location, but never let them get wet, or even damp until after they've formed plantlets and been planted out into pots of media.

wait a sec...guys are P. laueana hard to sprout from summer leaves? ???
Any1 had success there?
Complete success. Summer leaves, Winter leaves, they all work superbly to propagate with. I have nearly 100% success dropping the dry leaves into empty plastic cups and waiting until plantlets form before I transfer them to media and grow them on.

Back