What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

P. laueana (CP2) x moctezumae

Wesley

God must have an interesting sense of humor
My P. laueana (CP2) x moctezumae FINALLY FLOWERED!!!!!! I'm soo happy. Every time the plant has sent up flowers it has always aborted but it finally went through with it. I'm so excited!!!!:boogie: :banana2: :woot: :beer: I got the pic as close to the right color as I could.

213166077O086219400.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice picture! Is it my imganation or is the ping crosses that seem most inclined to flower? I have a P. laueana x emarginata and a P. moctezumae x [FONT=&quot](Köhres)[/FONT] that has flowered... but have never had the individual species of the afore-mentioned flower.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know. I only have 3 thorough-breads (if you can call them that). All three are too small to flower so I can not compare them yet. The hybrids that I have do seem to flower often though.

Many times, hybrids exhibit what's called "hybrid vigor" and do seem to flower more easily. P. laueana seems particularly reluctant to bloom for me. Definitely needs the cool winter stage before it blooms. Growing it under lights seems to prohibit it from blooming.

I like both hybrids and species. You can get some nice variations and improved plants though hybrids. Remember most of our best plants are the result of years of breeding, e.g. Roses, African Violets, etc.
Peter.

.....and some of worst our from inbreeding! (Koi, guppies,...) Anyways, my butterwort collection had a cold winter and so far only a few of them have flowered. Maybe later in the growing season?

Back