What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

P. primuliflora - a few questions

Cindy

Staff member
A month ago.
primuliflora_plant.jpg

Now.
primuliflora_plant1.jpg

1. Should I repot soon since the leaves are already touching the side of the pot?
2. How do I remove the babies? Wait for the main leaf to rot or cut leaf and remove the babies?

Thanks!

Don't remove the babies!!!!! They're survival rate is really poor. I speak from experience on that! A bigger, wider pot would be a good approach. The plantlets will naturally separate in time, like in a few weeks.

I learned the hard way too :(

So I should repot the plant with the babies into a wider pot?

Should it be a wider than deep pot should that the babies can have more space to grow then?

I am seriously thinking how I can repot this fellow...the media I use is fresh peat and sand. It will fall apart and I'll probably get the entire plant coated with the media! ???

I'd wait to see how they sort themselves out. As Jimscott said, the babies will eventually seperate on their own and can be moved to another pot at that time.

Cindy, there is no rush to repot a plant that size.it still has plenty of room to grow. just let it grow out for a while, and when you have a bunch of pings in there, repot.
peace,
Zero

Thanks, everyone for your advice. :-D

I'll keep the fellow in the pot until the babies are much larger. Not sure if you all see the same thing but the plant has been "perspiring" since it arrived. Is it common for P. primuliflora to be dripping with digestive juices? I only see that for Neps.

Keep on the tray methode and forget about it you will get a dozen or so pings in a few monthes.

When it does come time to repot I would hold your hand over the contents and turn upside down, coaxing as much to come out as one unit. Then place in a prepare container that has a depression in it, to accommodate the "plug". I would think that wider is better than deeper, but this species does have a developed root system, much more than the Mexican plants.

Steve: could be worse.... I could've misspelled capensis again!

:-)) Yep that was a classic! Still makes me grin when I think of a couple of little ol' ladies with shocked looks pointing at that in your window.

It has been a month and two nights ago I finally delivered the largest baby from mummy's rotting leaves. Baby is less than an inch across. :banana2:

prim_baby.jpg

Back