What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NeciFiX

Kung Fu Fighting!
Hiya,

Do CARNIVOROUS leaf pullings work just as well as Non carnivorous? The reason is at Ed's greenhouse the other day we were going to propagate a Cephalotus but decided not to as we were uncertain of what to do since it was in a clump (we were just poking at it and lifting up pitchers haha), so as a test if we could do this whole propagation thing we took a P. 'Weser' which he had 3 of and pulled all of the carnivorous leafs off (it'll probably die, but, I didn't unpot it and I left the developing leaves there) and put them in a tray of 1:1 peat to sand. Mexican Ping propagating is highly successful by the looks of it on Pinguicula.org as all of the leaf pullings rooted and some even made more than one plant, thus a 127% success rate was achieved. I basically just put all of the leaves on the soil and didn't bury them at all, but, I wouldn't be surprised if some of the ends got covered up slightly by some peat and sand. Would this work okay? (We also did the same for a Dionaea he had multiple of, just seperated them from the rhizome and put the ends in the soil and laid a few down just as a "what works better" test, is this also okay?)

Thanks a bunch!

~Sam

Yes.

Fopr cephs, any leaves work. I only used non-carnivorous ones and I got a sprout. 50% success.

I actually have NEVER had a failed leaf pulling on pings as long as some of the white base is taken with it. Without the white base, strangely though, I still acheive about a 25% success rate.

There is a belief that the winter leaves of the Mexican pings work better than the carnivorous ones. I haven't found there to be a significant difference either way. The winter leaves may just be easier to work with, but as long as you have the basal part making contact with the soil, you should have no problems.

Back