What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

transplating now...?

Could I transplant my pings now? In the middle of summer growth? How should I do it?

If you want to and they need it. Might as well take a few cuttings while you're at it.

Step 1:Take out of old pot.
Step 2:put in new pot.

Now, I'm sure I lost a few of you after step one. If you think you need to review the steps, better go back and take notes on this complicated procedure. If anyone reading this can't chew gum AND walk simultaneously, then perhaps re potting just isn't for you.

Wow, you don't say...:hail:

But HOW do I take it out of the pot without crushing the plants?

You just take it out of the pot dude. Very shallow root systems. Expect some leaves to come off if it's a Mexican.

I mean.. I don't know how to make it any simpler than to say "take it out of the pot." That's like asking "HOW do I cut a pie?" Flip them over, pluck them out, it doesn't matter.

I use a butter knife to gently take them out of the pot. mexican pings do very well transplanting. as jlap said, pull a few leaves off and place them next to the parent.

Yeah, try not to rip it out, but just like pull everything out of the pot soil and all. Then brush away the dirt.

Here's the "chip dip" approach to leaf cuttings:

IMG_0139.jpg

I scooped them out with a spoon, doing ok now, we'll see if it was successful...

Jimscoot remember when I had problems with leafs pullings ?
Now I get 100% sucess with them and I am getting surplus
pings now :D

This is how you can supplement your collection! Just keep taking cuttings and a month or so later you will have legitimate plants to trade.

Back