What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SOS!!

lol, yeah, i guess we'd be concidered that... :-))

as fo rliving in Israel.... i guess it could look weird and hard for people who dont know this place, but other than the politics (and i concider the israeli-palestine quarrel politics), it's a pretty normal place. it's not like you feel it on your flesh every single day, only when things get rough again, and it's been pretty quiet for a while.

I borrowed a camera from a co-worker yesterday and snapped a bunch of pictures, including some incredibly red sundews. I just hope they came out decently. That and I hope she gets them on disk soon!

The Middle East is such a hotbed of activity, with much centering around Israeli relationships with its neighbors and of course, oil. America is keen on the doings there, whether it be political, economic, or religious - or the interaction of all 3! So anytime there is anything going on there, CNN is quick to broadcast it to us. You're in a "fishbowl!"

Hey - do you know the origin of the word 'Palestine'?

How have your plants been faring these past few days?

the orogin on the word "palestine"? good question... :p it was the name of the state before israel was established in 1948, but i dont know where it came from. i can ask my mom, i bet she knows... :)
the US is keen to be invoulved in everything that's going on in the world, but no offense- your president is a little dumb, so i'm happy we're in good relationship with your country.. ;) after seeing the movie F 9/11 i just dont trust this guy.

and back to the original topic- my Ping is doing well. :) im keeping it only slightly moist, and it's now growing 4 new, healthy leaves!! :))) still havent tried feeding it yet, i need to find a bug small enough.. the sundew is ok, and Ami (my dionaea and my forum namesake) still have a whole bunch of tiny traps, i hope he'll grow bigger in the next round. :)

Bugs small enough? Not sure if this will pass, but you can set up plastic containers of rotting fruit and attract fruitflies. I've done that... but in an attic and in a supply room in a building that a former employer owned. In other words, I had the plants and fruitflies where nobody really cared about. Those are excellent food for butterworts and sundews. You can also buy freezed dried bloodworms that are sold in petshops as fishfood. New growth is a good sign that the plant is acclimating... and that you're doing something right.

Palestine is a derivative of the ancient and extinct people called the Phillistines. They used to be an annoyance to Israel's kings Saul & David, not to mention the judge called Samson. They weren't nice people. And one can nowadays refer to a person as being a Phillistine as an idiomatic expression, meaning one who is not nice or does something that messes you up. For instance, one could refer to your brother as a Phillistine for taking the family camera to Singapore, "That Phillistine!" Make sense?

Never saw the movie. Bush means well. He just misjudged a lot, mainly how your neighbors would react to the actions taken.

So who do you think will be the next Prime Minister? And who do you think will become America's next President?

i hate talking about politics, coz it depresses the hell out of me. pokiticians here are so corruped, it can blow your mind.. im just guessing Olmert might not get a second term, and as for your next president, i'd vote for Obama, he looks like a decent guy, or mrs. Clinton, just to see what a woman can do in this mighty position.

it was thought that the name Palestine came from that ancient tribe you've mentioned, but there are too many contradictions in this theory, so im not sure if thats true.

as for the butterwort, im not sure it's sticky enough yet, and i dont wanna touch it to check. i saw in pictures that small insects stick to it, so im looking for some, just to get the poor thing started..

I didn't know that there was controversy about the origin of Palestine and its similarity to Phillistine. Seems that the consonants are correct.

You can touch the butterwort if you want. It should feel mildly sticky or actually greasy. But anyways, if you can find fishfood, that would work. I gather you don't want to go the fruitfly route! Actually, what I would recommend doing is use a magnifying glass. Then you will see the stickiness.

My camera buddy stopped by last night and I took a bunch of pictures. We are getting together next Wednesday to do our usual uploading and culling of the pictures. There will be a very red D. spatulata in the mix.

Back