What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mexican Pinguicula under fluorescent lights

Joseph Clemens

Staff member

When growing them crowded together in small pots, nestled in plastic trays, it isn't always easy to move individual plants in and out of the trays because often the plants grow in close contact with each other so that moving one can affect several others. Though this method has some drawbacks, my feeling is that it is worth the problems to fit more plants into the same space and conserve resources, I also like to think the plants provide environmental support for each other, when grown together in groups, but they can also interfere with each other in competition for resources.

Last edited:
:O :O :O How old are they?

Very nice !
I have a question,can I keep mexican butterworts under a summer photoperiode perminately,will that keep them from going dormant ?
I could do a 10 gallon landscape setup with mexican pings since I am doing pullings.

Very nice !
I have a question,can I keep mexican butterworts under a summer photoperiode perminately,will that keep them from going dormant ?
I could do a 10 gallon landscape setup with mexican pings since I am doing pullings.
Mexican Pinguicula don't go "dormant", they just have a varying leaf form, they are always growing and many bloom from both Winter and Summer leaf forms. In nature they produce more and smaller leaves in their Winter, dry season, and fewer and larger leaves in Summer, wet season.

For many years now I have been growing all of my Mexican Pinguicula with no change of photoperiod. I grow many of each clone, species, seedlings, and hybrids -- those that have varying leaf forms seem to switch between leaf forms despite photoperiod. Apparently there are various environmental signals used by these plants to cause these seasonal changes in their physical appearance. I had some, especially Pinguicula laueana (various clones), that would grow quite well, and regularly switched leaf forms, but wouldn't bloom until I began subjecting them to 40-50F nighttime temperatures in Winter. Most often, at any time of the year, despite unchanging photoperiod, I have Pinguicula gypsicola that are in Summer or Winter leaf form, or somewhere in-between.

The photos below show groups of plantlets formed by leaf pullings - the parent leaves are, at this point, completely dead (some are even moldy), their substance completely used up creating and supporting the small plantlets visible in this photo. I have left these plantlets alone for many months, hopefully I will have space to plant them into community pots before they give up. Nearly every time I repot one or a group of these plants I pull some of their older leaves, drop them into a plastic cup, write the name on the cup rim and stack them in a corner of my plant room. I have hundreds, maybe even thousands of little plants waiting for homes. They keep well this way, no water, indirect light -- a care-free bank of little starter plants.

P_gypsicola_7Nov07-016.jpg
P_agnata_7Nov07-019.jpg

It's a jungle in there!

Okay cool,I have a few guys so I may awswell put them into my 55 gallon tank or in my 10 gallon. So I could do 15 hour;I use peat,perilite vermuculite they seem to like it. I think a mexican ping tank with large pieces of lava rock(I am going working with my dad in hawaii so I can take some lavarock :D ) would be nice :-D
Well when I get a 10 gallon setup I will start looking for more guys,what turned me away from them was there winter slur.......

Back