What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aphids on P. moranensis

DrWurm

Californian in DC
So as the title suggests my Ping has aphids. My mom got it for me at a non carnivorous nursery so obviously they fail severely at caring for them. Anyway, what should i do to get rid of them? My ping has a flower getting sent up, luckily with no aphids on the stem. I've manually removed some of the aphids by wetting a paintbrush with ping goo and transferring them from the backs of baby leaves to the glands of adult leaves. Satisfying, yes. Effective? Not so much. More reappear later.

try a systemic insecticide like Ortho brand

I've successfully used "Safer Choice" (botanical pyrethrin) pesticide on my Drosera with no ill effects or "burning" thus far...But i don't know what it would do to a Ping. Maybe try it on a "test ping" if you have one. :-))

well, the only systemic insecticides my nursery had contained fertilizers. So i got this 3 in 1 Bayer advanced stuff. kills insects, keeps them dead for 30 days, and controls diseases.

the ingredients are Imidacloprid (merit), Tau-fluvalinate, and tebuconazole. any of those ring a bell as plant killers?

Imidacloprid is the systemic part. sounds good to me. be careful as it kills bees too.
Alex

Well, if there are bees in my house, I wouldn't mind their deaths :D

Thanks for the help

HERE I COME MY DARLING PING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

oh, also, I'm not absolutely positive that what I have is a P. Moranensis. It's flowering right now, and I know that's a good time to ID plants. So if you wouldn't mind taking a look, I'd appreciate it.

I'm not sure how far that flower's gonna open up.

looks like P. 'Titan'. it should get very big :) it is also very weird about its winter rest. it forms a "bulb" beneath the soil level. one of the parents is presumably P. macrophylla which also makes the bulbs. most pings just make their winter leaves on top of the soil. titan makes its own rules and makes them under ground :)
Alex

Awesome, perfect match. Thanks bunches.

Back