What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pinguicula agnata

Joseph Clemens

Staff member
A photo of a group of the usual Pinguicula agnata. The flower color varies, mostly due to the age of the individual flowers. As you can see, this species often grows to be a partial clumper, though not quite as prolific at producing groups of crowns like some of the smaller clumping species. A much higher resolution copy of this image is at:

http://www.wjclemens.com/butterwort/agnata/P_agnata_28Nov07_001.jpg

P_agnata_28Nov07.jpg

And, apparently even propagating by leaf-pullings can produce "sports". I have one plant from a group produced by leaf-pullings that produces flowers that appear "double", in that they have double the number of corolla lobes in an apparent side-by-side mirror image double appearance, with two stigma, but only one ovary beneath the corolla. If this turns out to be stable -- that will be a horror for the species purists.

Those are nice FAT happy looking plants Joe! What type of mix do you use as media? Brian.

I use various combinations of APS (Schultz brand Aquatic Plant Soil), (#16 and #90 silica sand), plain cat litter, and perlite. I presoak the perlite and APS with 80ppm fertilizer solution, and dust the premoistened ingredients with Iron Oxide powder, until the perlite looks dark pink. I sprinkle the planting hole with a little dried, powdered, insect dust just before planting. Careful not too much or it can cause problems. Pinguicula agnata seems to be a heavy feeder, they would be larger and greener if I dusted them with insect powder and spritzed them with my weak fertilizer solution more often, but I'm a bit lazy.

Last edited:
I find this species as one that turns pink more readiy that all of the others, being that all my pings are at window sills.

I have two other clones of Pinguicula agnata that produce red pigment in their leaves. But this particular clone, called "True Blue" by some has never shown leaves that were other than green and yellow. Here is a pic of one that does the red pigment in its leaves:

P_agnata_CSUF_2b.jpg

That red plant is incredible!!!

I want that rusty red agnata!
very nice.

Back