What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grow pings from leaves?

know pings reproduce by asexual reproduction. But if i were to take a leaf and place it in soiland continue to care for it would it develop roots? does species matter? if so i have gigantea to help. also (i know somewhat bad placing) if anyone is interested i have several leaves waiting and plantlets too..just a few so let me know...just shipping is all i want.

I'm not interested in the offer, but if the leaf is young and you know what your doing, it can be done.

Many pings readily form from leaf pullings. Depending on species, there is generally a very high strike rate, too.

xvart.

i pulled and the leaves came very very easily...future plants? still green...

Umm take the tips of the winter succelent leafs keeping them face up chip dip the leaf tips into 1 part peat perlite and vermuculite keep them nepenthes moist but not really wet works for me well for all the pings. The do come off easy the plants sprout from te tip of the leaf the part that was attached to the ping

When I've done pullings in the past I've followed other forum member's methods. Put some wet LFS in a zip lock bag and put the leaves on the LFS. Then close the bag and put under some lights. In a few weeks you'll have some little babies growing from the leaves. I'll see if I can find the post...

xvart.

edit: Here you go. Check these out:

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106396&highlight=bag+leaf+pulling

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97303&highlight=bag+leaf+pulling

thx guys! very helpful!! :D anymore ideas are always welcome!

The one thread was from 2 years ago! Basically, you could either put leaves in slightly moist media, in a baggie or place them with the basal part contacting the media, next to the parent plants, or in a fresh pot. Either work well. It doesn't matter which season it is in. This works well for Mexican pings but not temperate ones. Some are easier than others/ P. gypsicola is doable but challenging. P. reticulata and moransensis crosses are the easiest.

The one thread was from 2 years ago! Basically, you could either put leaves in slightly moist media, in a baggie or place them with the basal part contacting the media, next to the parent plants, or in a fresh pot. Either work well. It doesn't matter which season it is in. This works well for Mexican pings but not temperate ones. Some are easier than others/ P. gypsicola is doable but challenging. P. reticulata and moransensis crosses are the easiest.

what about gigantea (wrong spelling?)? im not sure what it is (mexi or temp)

It's mexican, and yes!

Back