What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shipping Mexican Pings Safely

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
I'm still learning and am always open to suggestions. I've sort of settled upon shipping Mexican pings "dry", as suggested by Wicked Thistle, who was taught by Pyro, whom I believe learned that from Joseph Clemens, the king of pings.

So I have tried shipping them in dry peat and dry squares of paper towels and noe dried LFS. Still, if I send out 15 pings, 3 won't make it. Anybody have a better way or is that the norm?

My idea is that instant snow polymer that is a good one :)
Or for larger guys potted in small small flat pots.
My pings from you there is like 75% survival rate but those guys are growing.
Um I think the polymer is a good idea to try your in a lab it is called sodium poly something :D

Wow. I wish this thread was posted two days ago. I just shipped some pings. My media was dry-ish, but a little damp. Is the troubles because their root systems are so small and difficult to repot, or is specifically from shipping? I suppose the good thing is you can readily make leaf pullings.

xvart.

I don't know the dynamics but I'm sure Joseph can elaborate. All I know is that some leaves arrive to me DOA, with that paled gray look.

I have had no problems shipping in slightly damp paper towels folded around the ping then put inside a ziplock with most of the air pushed out being careful not to press where the ping is. Then pack in box so it can't move during shipping. I have shipped about 50 pings this way with no deaths that I know of. I don't like when I get a ping loose in a baggie with soil and to much air because the ping bounces all around during shipping and leafs fall off.
jimscott, the pings you sent me shipped this way arrived in perfect condition:)
peace,
Zero

I ship as zero has explained. And also know of zero problems...
Andrew

Jim

Every one of the Pings you sent me wrapped in a slightly damp paper towel and in the little bubble gum capsules survived and are growing well. See this thread from a few months ago. They've grown considerably since then :)

Two had a leaf each the broke off but in one case it sprouted into a new plant so that worked out to an advantage.

I have found paper towels, LFS, vermiculite, perlite, and wet newspaper all work well as long as i use ziploc bags with no air and only use packing peanuts. bubble wrap and paper have always caused bruising and broken leaves for me. I prefer LFS as long as it is damp, not wet and it is packed in peanuts. My last package went out with 15 pings and they all arived completely intact and healthy.

Jim

Every one of the Pings you sent me wrapped in a slightly damp paper towel and in the little bubble gum capsules survived and are growing well. See this thread from a few months ago. They've grown considerably since then :)

Two had a leaf each the broke off but in one case it sprouted into a new plant so that worked out to an advantage.
Bubble gum capsules?

Yep :D He sent them that way to me too...

Bubble gum capsules?

Yeah... my wife had a bunch leftover from her days as Children's Minister. To me, everything is a tool of unintended use. MacGyver was my hero!

I'm surprised that slightly moist doesn't result in some rotting, but okay...

I just recieved a package from jimscott and everything was packaged in bubble gum containers, about 15 of them. every thing looks good. my only question is how could someone chew so much bubble gum....

Lots of kids in the program... but not just for bubblegum. Just glad they made it safely and appear good.

Hey jim, when you run out of gum containers you can use plastic easter eggs. I just packed a few cephs and used them, they seem to be pretty good for larger plants. I wonder what the recipiant is going to think.

Some folks have been using photofilm containers.. Hey... whatever works!

Like these

URL removed per request of someone working for that company.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup like those, except jims were free.

And from the lab, these also work for shipping, as well as propogating:

IMG_0014.jpg

PipetteDispenserContainer.jpg

I've received many orders of "liquified" mexican pings resembline rotten lettuce. Regardless of your shipping techniques, mid-summer is not a great time to mail these across the country.

I hear that slightly moist LFS works well, too.

Back