What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Baylorguy

"Oh, now he's a philosophizer"
Hi all of you butterwort experts -

So all of my plants are thriving... except for P. agnata. It seems to be growing, but many of the leaves that were on the plant when it shipped are turning brown at the tips. There is new growth, but I am just concerned that the majority of the leaves are brown.

I have it under 4 T12 40 watt fixtures and keep the soil moist, but it is not in standing water. I put about 3/4 inch of water in the saucer each morning. Other than that, I keep the lights on about 15 hours a day.

Am I doing something wrong or is this more of the initial shock due to the new conditions. Not sure how hardy P. agnata is, but my D. filiformis, D. capensis, venus fly trap and D. adelae are all thriving with lots of new growth.

Thanks for your time.

Phil

How long have you had the plant? In my experience, Pinguicula agnata and its many forms and variants is among the easiest of all plants to grow (and not just among carnivorous plants). If your light is stronger than it is used to, you will likely lose the older growth while it adapts.

One more thing I have noticed....Tropical Pinguicula usually do have a sort of adjustment period when transplanted or shipped or moved in some way. They sometimes sulk for a week or two while they adapt and then they start actively growing again.

Cheers,
Corey

Thanks Corey -

Actually, I have had it for less than a week. Got it last Thursday. I guess I am a bit concerned because all of my other plants are growing vigorously, but agnata seems to be stalling a bit. If you have noticed tropical Pinguicula to be a bit slow to adapt, that actually makes me feel better.

Phil

I would delicately remove the dead leaves if possible and let the "tray" dry out. New growth is always a good sign.

I forgot to add that, in my experience at least, P. agnata is slightly slower growing than other commonly available species like P. moranensis. It sounds like your plant just needs to adjust to its new surroundings, though.

I agree with jimscott that you might want to let the tray dry out a bit more. Some growers have marvelous luck keeping these plants constantly wet, but I find they do better when kept just moist and allowed to dry slightly between waterings. These plants need much less water and can handle many more nutrients than other CPs.

Thanks guys -

I will remove any leaves that are browning or already dead. Thanks guys... I really appreciate it.

Phil

Glad we could be of help. Just keep in mind that what may work for us may not necessarily work for you.

Good luck with your new plant! :grin:

Back