What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Really Red!!!

Does anybody know any really red pinguicula species or cultivars, something common that isn't too hard for me to obtain.
I don't really care much for pings they all seem really green to me I want something with beautiful leaves I could care less about the flowers, by beautiful I mean "red" any pings with great color like akui ryu flytraps?

i think p. planifolia can get red, i've never grown one (yet)but i've heard of others that get their leaves on the red side but dont know how deep these guys get. I dont have this particular one but will be getting one soon :) any other ping growers out there with P.planifolila ? theres a few other deep red ones ive seen but i cant recall the names at this time.... im not much of a ping grower but i still think they are pretty cool plants :)

i donno man but P. agnata x gypsicola can get a beautiful pink-red. look at my avatar pic.

they can get even darker than that under good lighting

oh yeah, look at my PM i think you will like some of those

Last edited by a moderator:
not to hijack, but could you send me the same thing you sent to Muscipula? I really love dark colored pings too :0.

Thanks a lot
-Justin

one thing to keep in mind is that they tend to turn more pink/red under florescent light than the sometimes do under sunlight........i had some growing on my back step last summer in full sun that were green, but when they were moved inside under lights for the fall they turned pink..........

Some of the hybrids get a nice color under sufficient light.

Plants144.jpg

Fryster...you really have some beautiful plants!

And to the OP...pings are very under-rated. Get a few...and they really grow on you. No pun intended. Just look at Fryster's pot full of rich, slimey, succent pings! They are awesome plants!

Most of them will turn red/pink/purple with good lighting. P. agnata stands out as one that turns red the easiest.

This little P. reticulata is just a baby from a leaf pulling, but the color is already very nice.

DSCI0040.jpg

Thanks JimScott

P. planifolia is the redest plant i have seen, but it can be a bit touchy to grow, and i have been looking for it with no luck.... I have alot of Mexican Pings that are very nice shades of red, pink, orange, purple, and copper. almost all of the mexican pings will show good color if they are under good light. I grow my pings under full spectrum T5 flourescents and they all have very good color. Some notable plants are agnata Red Leaf, Seductora, Weser, Sethos, laueana, cyclosecta, and moranensis X ehlersea. Not all of them are red but all of them show good color and are easy to grow.

Thanks Sgardner. I just got a planifolia from a friend of mine ... dang, it is pretty red!! i have great lighting in the greenhouse, so i'll be seeing how red it can get! and PAK, i agree with you -- pings do have this tenancy to "grow" on ya!! i just started more or less, and i can see how pings can get addicting... lol :)

Hi,

Just wondering if anybody ever bought P. planifolia from Lee's Botanical Gardens. The price for them are comparatively inexpensive and I want to know if the plants come in good condition. You can post or PM me if you have any information. Thanks.

Johnny

Here is my P.ehlersiae. It can turn beautiful red colour in high intensity of light :boogie:
ping1-1.jpg

ping2-1.jpg

Back