What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

P. Primuliflora

You're very fortunate that the center is still green. A couple years ago my collection was flooded out. That resulted in many leaves being scattered; plants up rooted and ID's being lost; and a lot of plants experiencing that black crown pheomenon (death). Had to replace nearly every plant in the collection. Now I keep my pings under a table or chair, where they get dappled sunlight and very little direct rain. They still color up but are removed from the environmental disasters.

I hate to say it but I think I'm losing it. The green area seems to be shrinking and now there appears to be only one small leaf that is still green. I don't think I'll get another one. I have three Ping moranensis and one Ping agnata inside that are doing well. I've seen photos of beautiful Pings on this website and I'd love to know where people buy them.

I got mine from a variety of forum members, over the past few years, and have regularly taken leaf cuttings to be part of future trades and "newbie packages". The Mexican pings are characteristically easier than our N.A. temperate types. P. primuliflora can be rather enigmatic, but a good specimen is pretty easy to keep going.

I guess though, as you pointed out, we newbies should confine our collection to the easist Carnivores to grow, at least until we gain more experience. Thanks for all your help.

PM me if you's like some starter plants.

This plant LOVES high humidity.
It grew best in live sphagnum moss
It has very very shallow root structure. Make sure that the roots are well potted in. THe plant hates to get dry.
So media...either live sphagnum or good peat/perlite media...but most important is still high humidity.

I gota agree on that vraev, mine are the same way, i have mine in peat/perlite/sand mix with live spag growing all over the top of the pot, they hate it when there not wet, mine are under high humidity and high lighting.

I grow P. primuliflora at the equator with year round warm/hot temperatures. It doesn't undergo dormancy and seems not to need the rest. In fact, it does so well that a friend can propagate and sell them to the local nursery.

My own plant at the moment. Notice the larger leaves at the bottom, those were formed when the weather was cooler. When the hot and dry season came along, it produced all the plantlets.
ping4.jpg

Thanks for sharing, Cindy!

Back