What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How difficult is Pinguicula moctezumae

Wolfn

Agent of Chaos
How difficult is this butterwort? I'm looking for an exotic looking butterwort, and I found one of these on sale for a good price.

Is it a difficult plant? How dry must it be kept during dormancy? Anything I need to know about it?

Also, what about P. Gypsicola and P. heterophylla? Are those difficult?

In my experience, Moctezumae was a little tricky when it came to watering.

I probly over watered it. ???

P. moctezuma & gypsicola are somewhat challenging. P. heterophylla I have no experience with. I once received a moctezumae and it never got established. I received one gypsicola and that plant has thrived. Part was due to who sent it (Joseph Clemens and part was his advice - use crushed coral in the media. Another observation I have made about gypsicola and moctezuma is that the hybrids with other species do better than the straight up species.

Hi Ahmad!

I have been growing P. moctezumae (not crossed with anything) for some time and it really is a tricky plant. (But beautiful species too:-)) One thing i learned from its long term observation is that she really loves sun. I grow her in an open aquarium placed on south-oriented window. Watering: when it is hot sle likes a lot of water and more air humidity than other pinguiculae and the pot can stand in an inch of water ( i use distilled). When it gets cooler she dont like soaked substrate so i water her much less. She hates sticky atmosphere so make sure she gets some fresh air at all times. When she is happy she grows very fast (almost as fast as D. adelae) and looks beautiful!
Good luck ! :-D

For me Pinguicula moctezumae grows well in a mixture of peat and sand in a 50:50 ratio, and actually appreciates almost waterlogged conditions along with bright light and moderate humidity.

Would this be a good plant to grow on a windowsill?

Also, what's it's winter domancy like? How dry does it have to get?

It should grow well on a south, west, or east windowsill.

Mexican Pinguicula do not go dormant they just form a different rosette, to trigger the rosette change alow the tray to dry up completly and then keep the soil slightly damp.

I had pretty good conditions for Mexican pings, in general, when they were all at a window sill with a screen, letting in dappled sunlight. The windows were in an unheated stairway, so it got hotter than room temp in the summer and into the 40'w / 50's during the winter. I no longer have those conditions and will be looking for something cool and sunny come winter.

Back