What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pinguicula Help

kath

Katherine
I have a mexican pingucuicula, P. Ehlerisae, growing and apparently thriving. I just want to check I'm growing it the best I can.
It's on a windowsill, which gets East light (southern hemisphere). It's currently dormant (winter over here) with temperatures 10-25 degrees celcius during the day, normally hovering around 20 unless warm sunshine is coming through the window, and night time temps below 10. It's winter going into spring right now, so the temps are changing. Its slowly gettign warmer at night and longer days with brighter light. The plants leaves have a very faint pink tigne, but are mostly green. It seems to have a lot of leaves though.

Do these conditions sound fine?

I'm mostly concerned about water. How much does it need? It dries out quite a bit between watering, but once it dries out, how much do I give it to replenish the water supplies? Should I top water or bottom water? Doe sthe plants crown need to be kept water-free, like with ceph?

Also, I've heard of things called gemmae. Do mexican ping produce these? Also, when do they flower? And what size do they have to be to produce gemmae/flower?

Thanks!

Temps could be a little lower but, like 5-10 C, but I think you're alright. They should be kept almost bone dry for the winter but once the growing season begins, so should the watering. I would add just a teeny bit if water, once in a week, from around the pots and definitely keep the crown dry. Pink is good, especially for right now, being winter. A N.A. ping does produce gemmae, but yours are Mexican and won't. They tend to flower when they have had the cool, dry winter, soon after the growing season begins, when the leaves are still in succulent form. Bottom line - I think you're doing very well.

Thanks

Back