What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Ping not so dewy..

NaRnAr

Ive got Crabs!
I just picked up a Ping, and have been reading about them on here for a week or so...soI thought I was at least prepared to give it a go.

I got one today, in a cube/cup thing. It was all nice and happy and covered in the dew stuff at the nursery. I got out to my jeep, set it on my seat and within minutes it was dew-less and deflated/droopy. It wasnt in the sun, and it wasnt much of a temperature change from the greenhouse to the car. The humidity would have been the only big change, since its dry today (like always).

I would like to repot it as soon as I can, but am worried that i might stress it more by taking off its cube.

???

Can you take a picture of it? If it was in the typical cube of death, it is better to slowly acclimate the plant to lower humidity by taking the cover off in phases rather than taking it off suddenly.

Most pings are pretty hardy. With a picture the experts on here (I am not one of them) will be able to better help you. Where is JimScott?!? :-))

Can you take a picture of it? If it was in the typical cube of death, it is better to slowly acclimate the plant to lower humidity by taking the cover off in phases rather than taking it off suddenly.

Most pings are pretty hardy. With a picture the experts on here (I am not one of them) will be able to better help you. Where is JimScott?!? :-))

LOL! Moi? I'm just ever-present and over-exposed!

When I was brand new to the hobby I had incredible beginner's luck with a "Lowes Cube Of Death" P. primuliflora, as it turned out to be. Honestly, all I did was put it at a window sill, in a drained pot (I Repotted), at a SW window sill, in the kitchen of the lab in which I worked. I watered it 2-3 times a week, depending upon evaporation rate (deionized water). The plant did the rest, flowering 8 times and producing plantlets, from fall through winter.

IMG_0475.jpg

IMG_0406.jpg

Pinguicula_primuliflora.jpg

Sorry I couldnt upload these yesterday, our internet disappeared.

It looks a little better today, at least its got a little dew on the leaves I think. I took the lid off the cup for just these two pictures, and then put it back on with a little room for air to get in.

DSC05521.jpg

DSC05522.jpg

Maybe the shock of greenhouse humidity to 20% humidity outside, on the roots/drainage holes did it? Its a little more humid than outside in the apartment since im running my dehydrators, the ping and a few others are in the kitchen with them...humid and warm!

I think you can leave the lid off now, permanently. Let it get used to things.

NaRnAr -

Looks to be P. primuliflora, and a healthy looking one at that. It'll be fine. Follow Jim's instructions.

Good growing!

THanks for the help! Its definitely getting more dewy, There was a gnat flying around in the "lid" and its now stuck to the flower stalk. :) Ill take the lid off now, the dehydrators are full of fresh foods so its going to be nice in the kitchen...much like a greenhouse.

Im so happy its adjusting.:blush:

Thanks for the ID BaylorGuy.

It still hasnt gained its "dew" back so I moved it to a new window and cut off the flower shoots. Hopefully it will feel better in that window, its a little more sunny than the place it was in the kitchen.

The leaves still look good though and its growing a new one, so it cant be all that unhappy right??

As long as you see new growth, things are on the up and up.

Good to hear, Thanks Jim! :)

Its funny because the leaves arent sparkly with the bits of dew,but the remainder of the flower stalks have it. weird. BUt its growing, so I wont worry. :)

Its got DEW!!:-O Im guessing that means it must like the east window.

Congrats! Actually, the genus name, Pinguicula, means, "little greasy one". But yeah, as long as it's responding, don't change anything.

Back