What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ping gifts

Back in July Crissy gave me my first pings.
It has been a couple months now and with her guidance they have survived and grown.

Then (July 2008)
DSCN1213.jpg

DSCN1214.jpg

Now (Sept 2008)
grac_moc.jpg

titan.jpg

Thx Crissy,
:hail:

Av

Very nicely done Av! You've had extremely fast growth compared to mine, and your pings now are larger than my mother plants! Good growing, I told you they were not all that difficult ;).

Crystal

Hmm. . . After seeing these results, I could use some growing tips. How are you caring for them.

Media?
Watering?
Light?

I only have one left, P. moranensis and it is a little one. I hope that I can grow it up like yours. I have killed 3 Pings so far. Please share your tips. :D

Looking very good!

crissy, jim

thanks for the kind words...

feedme,

crissy or jim would be a much better person to ask... but FWIW i used 100% APS, trich and daily waterings... lighting is T5 with the distance to bulb about 18"

Av

Wow! You did a great job on those! Congrats! :)

WOW,
great pings. Did those really hit that size in 2-3 months?

LOL! I killed half the collection this summer! Baaaaaaad things happen whenever I put them outside.

Lol! I guess it's left up to me.

feedme - For my media I am using aquatic plant soil. I had a lot of problems with the pings crashing using the 50/50 mix of peat/perlite (or sand in the place of perlite). They would seem to be doing fine then just quickly decline. I found out it was due to root rot. The aquatic plant soil has fixed this issue in my particular conditions.

I use those shoe box containers that you can get at Walmart for under $1.00. I have multiple pots of pings in each one. The shoe boxes act as my 'trays'.

As far as watering goes, I use the tray method. I don't keep them as wet as my sundews. I put about 1/4" of water in the tray and let it go awhile before watering again. I wait for the water to be totally gone from the tray and wait about 2-4 days before watering again. You can look at the APS and tell if it's wet or dry. I try to wait for it to start turning back to a light brown (wet will be dark brown) before watering again. The way the APS works, I don't think it's really necessary to wait that length of time before watering again, it would probably be fine to do it as soon as the tray dries. I may just be overly paranoid due to losing so many pings in the past.

My lighting is by two four foot long shop light fixtures. They are T12s. I have a total of four 34-watt bulbs over them. The lights are about 5 1/2" away from the bulbs. This is enough to give them a nice pink coloration. I could drop the lights down some more, but I have a few taller Drosera that need to be moved somewhere else. I should also note that my lights are lined with mylar, and I have mylar on three sides of my grow rack.

I hope this is helpful to you,
Crystal

Last edited:
I still can't get over how quick they have grown!

Crissytal,

Thanks for the detailed information. I think my main problem is over watering. I was keeping them too wet. :-(

Final update:

July 2008
DSCN1213.jpg

DSCN1214.jpg

Today
gracmocnov.JPG

novtitan.JPG

Thx Crissy :hail:
Av

Incredible! Veeeeery nice! Great color. I find it funny how the titan took the shape of the pot. xD

pretty flower on the 1st one. how do you water the 2nd one? ._.

Very pretty Av! Wow, they are huge compared to my Pings. You are putting mine to shame LOL. Must be something in the water ;).

Crystal

I tried aps and it seemed like it was always dry on top and the pings went into succulent mode.
How are you watering that 'Titan'?

thank you all for the kind words :)

Halt, Zero...

Nothing special, I just top water every couple days using a pressure mister... with the titan I simply raise the leaves up to get access to the APS...

Im a big fan of top watering,

HTH's
Av

First of all, what does APS stand for? :-(

Secondly

:hail::hail::hail::hail:

APS
Aquatic Plant Soil
looks like cat litter:)
found in the garden or pond-fountain section of lowes, home depot, etc

Back