What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My new P. moranensis

2zpqxxe.png

So I got my shipment on Thursday (woot!), and did not hestitate to go straight to fixing a spot for my new ping on my window. My house temperature is usually high 70s to low 80s during the day. At night its high 60s to low 70s. I just leave it at my window and during the day it gets about 3.5 hrs of sunlight a day.

I also was spacing the pings apart when I accidentally pulled off a leaf of the bottom right ping. :[ So I just made a little hole and stuck it in. Will it grow?

I also found two small pings hiding under the larger ones, hopefully they will grow.

Thanks!

- Chad :) ???

Hi Chad -

I wasn't aware that moranensis produced offshoots, but if you found them next to the larger plant, they are probably the same species. It looks good to me. Keep in mind that you'll want to watch for signs of the plant transitioning into its succulent phase for the winter. What sort of mix are you using for your soil?

half peat and half sand.

However, my ping doesn't seem to be doing too well. The larger one which is in the center isn't unfurling its leaf while the one in the bottom corner is. The smaller ones seem stagnant. I don't want it to die. T_T

Watch out, I've had countless pings rot for me, even in vermiculite. I'd assume peat is more dangerous.

If I were you, I'd transfer them to 1:1 sand/perlite. You can try grinding a iron nail into dust and putting the dust in a bowl of water. Evaporate the water and mix the rusty dust into the soil. It'll help, no kidding.

Yeah, I've lost a few to root rot as well. I would go easy on the water for now and just make sure the soil is moist. You did just get them, so it is most likely the plants acclimating to your conditions. I go with a mix of peat, sand, perlite, vermiculite, and schultz aquatic plant soil.

Hey Chad -

Any updates or signs of improvement?

It's growing! I decided to reogranize the pings away from each other and kind of level the soil so none of them are a slant. The large ping is unfurling a new leaf while the other ones are growing more. :DDDD

That's good news your P.Moranensis is doing good I got my new pings in about the same mix Baylorguy lists except no sand and my pings are doing good I hope to see pictures. =)

Back