What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ping seeking help...

I am from Hong Kong.
my area is around 24 deg Celsius these days and the weather is slowly entering autumn / Winter

I just wanna ask two questions ... and I have attached the photos of my little ping.

1. Could anyone please tell me what is the species of this ping?

2. As new leaves grows out from the middle, the old leaf in the corresponding position start to get yellow and dies away..... but don't know why recently the new leaves didn't seem like to lie flat.... they just stay there...... and the leaves seems to getting a bit smaller... So is it that my ping is starting to prepare for winter dormany ? or does it have some problems?

Thanks so much.

20081019_e8b339b5f8df3893df67dPq64mhBdArc.jpg

20081019_f3ed95a9e8d14f47adaa9MqdmoW0udJp.jpg

Welcome to TF!

I don't know which ping it is but I wouldn't worry too much about the leaf that is dying. It's an older leaf and I'd say that it has been around for awhile. I would concentrate on what is happening in the crown. Now if the crown dies off, the plant is dying. The crown on this plant is obviously displaying new growth and appears just fine.

Your particular tropical Pinguicula appears to be one of the species which does not have distinctive and identifying leaves. Identification, if possible, would require a flower be in bloom to assist in this process.

Additionally what you describe concerning the leaves, sounds as though the plant may be transitioning into Winter-leaf form.

And from looking at your photographs, your plant seems to be receiving less than optimum light intensity.

Thanks so much! I am now less worried.

About the light intensity... it's true that is not optimal....
I mainly use natural lighting.... and it receive indirect sunlight everyday from like 9am - 5 pm...... but of course the sunlight intensity vary every day and sometimes it doesn't seem to be enough.

Apart from reducing water supply, what else can I do to allow for my ping a smooth transition to winter and also to have a happy winter time ?

I am a complete beginner so thanks so much for helping!

As a quick side, make sure you are not using some sort of decorative spanish moss -that can be lethal to carnivorous plants. Looks like a healthy ping!

Back