What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First pings

Ant

Your one and only pest!
So, I am completely new to pings and recently got my fist ones in a trade. So, pings are tropical and don't go dormant right? I got Pinguicula esseniana and Pinguicula cyclosecta and they are growing again. Though they lost their original leaves so I can't tell them apart. I would love any tips.

Hi Ant -

Both species you listed are classified as tropical, and more specifically, both grow in Mexico. They do not go through a dormancy, but they do change leaf types from carnivorous to succulent growth. When this happens and you see the buds tighten, cut back on water and keep slightly moist. I hear (though I have not grown this species) P. gypsicola likes it almost bone dry when going through its succulent phase.

Hope this helps.

Phil gave you a good "nutshell" reply. Here's a pictoral one:

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0024.jpg

IMG_0196-1.jpg

IMG_0201.jpg

IMG_0237.jpg

jimscott what is that last one? its awesome reminds me of an octopus. i grow p. moranensis, p. agnata, and my newest one is p. cyclosecta, they are another one of my fav cps to grow, although mine are still in the carinvorous stage? in my experience i always keep them in standing water, and they go dormant based on lighting and temperatures, they are right on the windowsill so they might experience a chill on really cold days, which would cause them to go dormant temps there i would say never go below 45f though.

Thanks, but what does the non-carnivorous leaves look like? I not sure if it is making them or not.

It's really difficult to say, because not all succulent leaves look the same. Take Jim's picture for example. In the first one on the far left it says P. gypsicola. Notice how compact the leaves are. Now look at the last picture. That octopus looking plant? It's the same one! That is also P. gypsicola, but in carnivorous growth.

You'll notice a shortening of the leaves and a more compact plant. I may be able to take a picture of my P. 'Titan" when I get back. It has both carnivorous and succulent leaves.

do all pings go succulent? and do they come back?

Hi Halt -

No, not all pings change to succulent leaves. Take P. agnata for instance. It does not change leaf types. Yes, they do return from succulent leaves in a few months.

Non carnivorous 'succulent' leaves have no 'dew' on them. That is one way to tell. They might have little hairs but they will not be slimy. The succulent rosette is much more compact. Sometimes this is called the dormancy stage but that is not a correct use of the word; the plant simply swaps to the succulent style of growth.

Even if a clone does not form different shaped leaves, it often still makes leaves much smaller and compact, resembling succulent growth e.g. P. agnata.

Many new growers get worried if their plants don't change state regularly. My advice is not to stress about it. When the plant looks like it is starting to go succulent (often about now for northern hemisphere) then just reduce watering. They still like lots of light (most grow on cliff faces). It is not clear what the triggers are to cause the plant to change state from carnivorous to succulent and vice versa but triggers are thought to include light level, temperature changes, and probably humidity.

One of my P. laueana recently spent about 2 years in succulent growth mode. Three months ago it decided to become carnivorous. Now it has gone succulent again. It is still healthy and flowers reasonably regularly. Other laueana clones I have are kept in the same conditions and obey a more normal cycle or barely go succulent at all.

Jim, that is very interesting about the laueana that spend 2 years in succulent growth. Subjected to the same conditions as the other pings, am I right? Maybe it has a mind of its own and is rebelling!

Thanks for the help! I know I recieved them in the carnivorous stage now but, I think they might have changed becuase the leaves are smaller, or am I just going crazy? ??? Also is P. gypsicola an easy plant? It looks really cool. lol

My carnivorous moranensis totally changed to its succulent leaves. These little leaves are just unfurling like crazy and way smaller than the other leaves.

P. gypsicola is the most challenging of the Mexican butterworts and stays dormant for almost half a year.

For me, the most challenging ping I keep are my temperate pings. I have P. macroceras subsp nortensis and P. grandiflora.It's not so much growing them but overwintering their hibernacula.Get them too wet they rot so they get babied moreso then my mexican pings do.
Mark W.

For me, the most challenging ping I keep are my temperate pings. I have P. macroceras subsp nortensis and P. grandiflora.It's not so much growing them but overwintering their hibernacula.Get them too wet they rot so they get babied moreso then my mexican pings do.
Mark W.

When you throw the N.A. temperates into the mix those caerulea and planifolia do fine for a few months and then disintegrate. I haven't figured them out yet.

Okay, thanks for all the help! Turns out 1 is in the succulent stage and the other is still making carnivorous leaves.

My P. Moranesis appears to have stopped growing. It put out one succulent leaf about three weeks ago and hasn't had any growth after that.

Back