What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help! My Pinguicula moranensis is rotting away!

Wolfn

Agent of Chaos
Something is wrong with my Pinguicula moranensis. I have it growing in the correct soil and I'm letting the soil dry out because of the winter stage of growth. However, there hasn't been any growth in about a month and all the summer leaves are turning brown and rotting away.

Any idea what's wrong?

PMoranesis1.jpg

PMoranesis2.jpg

Vermiculite does tend to hold a lot of water, at least from what I've read. It also looks like it could use a bit more light, as well.

-Ben

As Drosera said, it does look like it could use light. I think you should stay away from using large pots. o_O

Well, I put it outside and got rid of the water saucer so it'll drain any excess water and get more light.

Balance - that is the key, for me.

First, start by taking note of the conditions these plants usually experience in their native habitat, UV intensity, nutrient levels, moisture levels, humidity, and etc., then work at balancing them all.

Remember they originate near the equator, and at medium to high elevations, so their photo period varies little from season to season, their light intensity would also change very little, and they are always exposed to some of the highest light and UV levels on the planet. I have found that I can keep them "wet" - with impunity, as long as I maintain high light and UV levels.

It doesn't look too wet to me but it does look very green. I think it needs more light. I would look to the crown. Is there new growth that isn't blackening? I would also remove the 3 brown leaves and the take leaf cuttings of the 2 leaves that are browning at the tips - in a separate pot, with fresh media.

another thing to keep in mind is how the person before you was growing it i grow my Mexi's quite wet, to the point if i sent someone one and they immediately tried keeping it fairly dry it would likely keel over quite quickly cause some of my plants have almost no roots cause they get their moisture from the high humidity air underneath the rosette and not from the soil itself for the most part......so they will rapidly shrivel up if dried out with out a slow acclimation.........im sure the reverse is quite true aswell.......

Well, my Pinguicula officially rotted away to nothing. It was fun while it lasted. Whenever I grow Mexican pings, they always die within months. I'm just not good with them.

Oh noes! D: Sorry to hear that...it seems to me that Pings are either easy or difficult.

Back