What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dry or Wet? I prefer wet.

Joseph Clemens

Staff member
Here is a recent pic of a few of my Pinguicula gypsicola. This is after they have been kept dry since late Summer of 2007. They are still dry - though I plan to start watering them soon. Overall about 15% were lost, so far, this is a combination of the survivors from two adjacent trays. This species was not the only one in the trays represented here, and there are other Pinguicula gypsicola in other trays.

P_gypsicola_group_quarter.jpg
and as you can see in the three close-up pics that follow, weeds die, moss dies, media can shrink up, spiders can web everything together, and though they continue to grow, they don't expand into Summer leaf form and they don't bloom. I like them wet, they look so much nicer when they expand into Summer leaf form and produce pretty little flowers (see bottom three photos).

P_gypsicola_009.JPG

P_gypsicola_010.JPG

P_gypsicola_013.JPG

P_gypsicola_sand-coral_web_B.jpg
P_gypsicola_adj_5.jpg
P_gypsicola_3Nov07_032.jpg

Last edited:
wow....look pretty darn good for being dry that long.........

I prefer wet as well! Although I must say, those look similar to mine right now that are wet LOL

Great plants! After seeing your plants, I'll definitely have to get p. gypsicola in the next couple of months!

I might be missing something here, but why did you let them go dry for so long?

Great plants! After seeing your plants, I'll definitely have to get P. gypsicola in the next couple of months!

I might be missing something here, but why did you let them go dry for so long?

I'm caregiver to my wife who is paraplegic due to MS. She had a few medical/health complications that I was preoccupied in helping her deal with and recover from. Add that to the great many excellent growers of this group of plants who practice giving them a period of dryness and advocate the same. I decided that since I was facing a period of time where I wouldn't be able to give my plants the attention they needed, that I would give my entire collection of Pinguicula an extended period of dryness (intentional neglect) and see how they would handle it.

I'm caregiver to my wife who is paraplegic due to MS. She had a few medical/health complications that I was preoccupied in helping her deal with and recover from. Add that to the great many excellent growers of this group of plants who practice giving them a period of dryness and advocate the same. I decided that since I was facing a period of time where I wouldn't be able to give my plants the attention they needed, that I would give my entire collection of Pinguicula an extended period of dryness (intentional neglect) and see how they would handle it.

You have your priorities straight!, this is good, although I am sorry to hear about your wife.

Thanks "D_muscipula", thankfully she is doing much better now.

Hi Joseph - it's good to see you back in "the fold." These posts are really fascinating. When you say "dry" you literally mean no water added for 16 months? That is amazing. Is there elevated humidity where you grow your Pinguicula?

I'm glad your wife is doing better.

xvart.

Hi Joseph - it's good to see you back in "the fold." These posts are really fascinating. When you say "dry" you literally mean no water added for 16 months? That is amazing. Is there elevated humidity where you grow your Pinguicula?

I'm glad your wife is doing better.

xvart.

We are in Tucson, Arizona, very much the desert Southwestern USA. Much of the year the humidity is very low (R.H. in the teens or lower), either Winter or Summer. We have central air conditioning, which, when it is used, turns our normally dry desert air, into air that is so dry, it is hard to measure any moisture at all. When we used the A/C to cool our house, I had to water my plant trays every day, adding twenty gallons or more just to keep some water in the trays.

About four years ago I changed how we cool our house -- I installed a 6,000 CFM evaporative cooler, which discharges into the window of the plant-room. I had to mount a piece of plywood in front of the cooler airflow in order to deflect it from blowing the plants out of the room. We run this cooler, instead of the A/C -- saves a fortune on electricity that the A/C uses versus the evaporative cooler.

We do not run the cooler constantly, but it is used to varying degrees, throughout the year. In Summer, when it is the hottest and driest, we run it almost continuously, and I keep its pads wet, always, year-'round. At other times of the year, I have two box fans positioned to blow out of windows on the opposite end of the house from the plant-room and they have three speed settings that we adjust for our own comfort.

This does tend to assist in humidifying the plant-room - and undoubtedly has assisted my plants in tolerating the "drought" conditions they have been subjected to.

The first Winter with the evaporative cooler, the plants near the window, where the cooler air entered the room, were often near freezing on cold mornings. That Winter was the first time any of my Pinguicula laueana bloomed, and almost all that were large enough, did so. So I discovered the secret for blooming them in my conditions was to keep them very cool and humid in Winter.

So they were cool, humid, and dry? And when did you rehydrate them?

So they were cool and humid. Were they also dry? And when exactly did you begin rehydrating them?

Back