What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What species of Mexican butterwort is this?

Wolfn

Agent of Chaos
I really like this Mexican butterwort, but I don't know what species (or hybrid) it is. Anyone know?

mexicanbutterwort1.jpg

P. 'Sethos' maybe? not sure, but thats what it looks like to me

dustin

Last edited by a moderator:
Difficult to discern without a flower, but it looks like one of several varieties of Pinguicula moranensis distributed by several CP nurseries. This is not an identification, just a guess. Most often flowers are necessary to make positive identification of plants.

I have seen this photo before. It used to be on a vendor website so it may be copyrighted. It was the photo they used for Pinguicula 'Pirouette' (no longer listed on their website).

Hope that helps.

I have seen this photo before. It used to be on a vendor website so it may be copyrighted. It was the photo they used for Pinguicula 'Pirouette' (no longer listed on their website).

Hope that helps.

From what I've read, one of the parents of P. 'Pirouette' is P. agnata. I read that P. agnata doesn't form a dry succulent stage and stays carnivorous year-round.

Will P. 'Pirouette' remain carnivorous year round, or will it form a dry succulent stage?

I don't remember my P. 'Pirouette' ever going into succulent growth. It's a great looking ping with a nice dark pink color. Here is a older pic of one that split after flowering.

PIC
Pirouette2.jpg

I read that P. agnata doesn't form a dry succulent stage and stays carnivorous year-round.

Whoever told you that was lying ;)

Will P. 'Pirouette' remain carnivorous year round, or will it form a dry succulent stage?

This plant will got through a succulent phase. I have yet to meet a Mexi-Ping that did not do a succulent phase at some point.

Whoever told you that was lying ;)

I read it in "The Savage Garden"

In the paragraph about P. agnata, it says that it doesn't form a true winter succulent. The only thing that happens is the leaves get smaller, but it's still carnivorous.

Even SG is wrong now and again :).

Every P. agnata form I had went into succulent phase. Every Mexi-Ping I have had went succulent in some capacity.

Pyro is correct. Every Mexican ping will change its leaf form throughout the course if its life. Whether or not it actually produces true succulent, non-carnivorous leaves or just much smaller leaves with carnivorous glands depends mostly on individual growing conditions. As a rule, the dryer they are kept the more likely the leaves will be succulent and non-carnivorous. There are some forms which, if kept consistently damp, will merely produce smaller, carnivorous leaves. However, even those forms which still produce small carnivorous leaves no longer seem to actively capture prey (they do occasionally, but it is a relatively rare occurence).

The only Mexican form in which I have never observed a change in leaf form is Pinguicula emarginata. I am not saying that P. emarginata does not change leaf form, just that I have never seen it.

I have a P. agnata in a terrarium and it has not had a suculent stage so far. I keep it on a constant 14 hour light schedule. My P. esseriana does though. The plant posted here looks a lot like my P. agnata also so it my be that as well.

Here is my P. agnata with a photo of Summer and Winter foliage. If you zoom in, you can see that the Summer foliage is very sticky while the Winter foliage has no sticky glands, just hairs. The Winter rosette is also a little tighter and smaller. The black specs on the Winter photo are not prey; it is incapable of catching prey at the moment.

P. agnata

Back