What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

P. medusina growing tips

So mine is clearly in dormancy, I've let it dry out completely and I can even see the bulb barely beneath the surface of the soil, it's nice and green, and quite large I will also say.

I probably don't want to try bringing it back yet, but I really have always been puzzled by Mexican Butterworts and their specific requirements.

Dry season: Does this mean winter? Or summer? Should it be dry and cool, or dry and as hot as possible?

I don't know what season corresponds with what humidity. When a P. medusina is growing, should it be treated like a steamy tropical plant? (Lots of ambient humidity, and warm temps) Or could it just live in simple house plant conditions.

I really really like P. medusina, and when it was big and growing, it was a beautiful plant, with plantlets on most leaves. I really don't want to lose this Bulb I have to poor conditions.

Please give me some advice. (I'm searching the web too)

Last edited by a moderator:
Third leaf emerging:

Picture021-1.jpg

New picture:

Picture031.jpg

Man Jim,sure is coming along great!!!

It seems to be a new leaf every 5 or so days. They don't get tall, but they keep coming in, with "grease".

This plant has proved to be hard to grow. I have good growth, flowers and lots of pups, but as soon as the plants went dormant i lost them all. Luckily i had 10 pups to start over with. It seems to be very picky about moisture in the soil during dormancy. I grow mine as Pyro grows his.
I found using a tooth pick to pull the leaf tip to the ground will make a pup.

I am very confused by what you guys are saying works for you when growing pings. If I tried such a well drained soil mix like you are using, mine would die! I have mine in plastic shoebox containers with straight live sphagnum moss, and I flood it to the point of being almost aquatic. When it starts to dry out, I add more water. My pings reproduce at such a fast rate it is like they are weeds. They also flower very regularly. They are my easiest plants to grow!

Back2eight -- that is very strange. I've always heard that they'll rot in those kind of conditions.

Cool! Gotta try that w/ my pings.

back2eight, do you have any pictures? I believe your case may be what Joseph always refers to as balancing environmental factors. You can grow pings using different conditions, as long as you balance other factors. I have to admit, I keep my pretty wet and they are doing just fine.

Phil

The natural pings growing in the wild around here are growing in the same conditions I have mine in. They are growing directly in live sphagnum moss that is literally dripping wet because natural springs are running through it. They are growing along a creek bank with the natural springs feeding the creek, and you can see the water dripping off of the moss, and if you touch it you can wring it out. There are pings and sundews growing in abundance in this condition. Here are mine -
my P. 'Titan'
miscpics003.jpg

titan004.jpg

This was my mini bog when I first set it up years ago. The plants are still very tiny in this pic.
titan001.jpg

and this is it after it filled in some. It got so full that they were starting to choke each other out so I started selling and trading them
DSCN1481.jpg

Picture014-6.jpg
P. medusina

Mine has been dormant for about 7 months now... It's still alive and green under the soil. Why wont it wake up? :(

Picture025-4.jpg

Back