What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pinguicula reticulata (long time dry)

Joseph Clemens

Staff member
Here is a recent photograph of Pinguicula reticulata after having been dry for, at least, sixteen months:

P_reticulata_033_sml.JPG

These little red ones certainly look very much like Pinguicula immaculata.

Curious that of the hundred or so plants I had of this species, most perished, and only this pot had plants of this appearance. All the other survivors of this species look like this:
P_reticulata_B2_011_sml.JPG

All my plants of this species are divisions from one original plant.

Last edited:
Beautiful rosettes!

Any idea on what the coloration difference is caused by?

xvart.

I like them best when they look like this:

P_reticulata.jpg

Any idea on what the coloration difference is caused by?

xvart.

I will let you know after I compare the media. I can't imagine anything else is affecting this difference. Usually light has the greatest effect, but since they've all been so dry, light has not had much affect on coloration.

I will let you know after I compare the media. I can't imagine anything else is affecting this difference. Usually light has the greatest effect, but since they've all been so dry, light has not had much affect on coloration.

Were all of those in that pot from pullings from the same plant?

xvart.

Every plant of Pinguicula reticulata that I have had and presently do have in my collection comes from one original plant. I have propagated, sold, and traded approximately several hundred plants, so far. So, yes, all of the plants in these photographs are the same clone.

Omg their so pretty they're like sparkling little stars O_O :0o:

Omg their so pretty they're like sparkling little stars O_O :0o:

I agree, they are one of my favorite species -- I do wish I knew what triggers them to assume these different appearances. Though they are attractive no matter how they look, as long as they aren't dead. This is the first time since I've been growing this species that I've seen them form these diminutive, red, stars. They certainly appear similar to Pinguicula immaculata when they're like this.

Very beautiful plants and pictures. I believe I received this from you. Is the P. rectifolia or P. reticulata?

IMG_0020_1.jpg

jimscott,
The plant in your photo is Pinguicula reticulata, I hope I didn't mislabel it. For some odd reason I sometimes mix up these two names. ???

I don't have any difficulty telling these two species apart, nevertheless I sometimes mix up the names when I'm labeling them. As careful with nomenclature, as I am, I too can sometimes get my names mixed up.

And too, if anyone ever receives a Pinguicula rotundifolia, from me, instead of Pinguicula rotundiflora, please accept my apologies and adjust your labels.

--------------

Last edited:
I need to get one of those.
Great looking neglected pings:)

jimscott,
The plant in your photo is Pinguicula reticulata, I hope I didn't mislabel it. For some odd reason I sometimes mix up these two names. ???

So do I!

Back