What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

P. 'Titan' and others

Crissytal

What is and what should never be
P. 'Titan'
IMG_0414.jpg

P. 'Titan' macro
IMG_0412.jpg

Flower
titan.jpg

Here are a couple pictures to show how I start my Ping pullings. This container is undrained. There is roughly about 1" of LFS in the bottom and about 2" of aquatic plant soil on top. I top water when it becomes dry.
IMG_0521.jpg

Close up
IMG_0522.jpg

Thanks for looking,
Crystal

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, what a beautiful ping! I love the pink outline and purple flower. :) The ping pullings are neat, too.

Wait, isn't it supposed to be dormant right now?

Wait, isn't it supposed to be dormant right now?

Despite some publications to the contrary, there are some of us who hold out for a more restrictive definition of the term: "dormancy". Which means that Mexican/Tropical Pinguicula do not have a true dormancy. Many of the Mexican species are heterophyllous, which means that they basically form two types of leaves, that seem to depend on seasonal clues the plants receive in their natural habitat. These are often called either Winter-leaves or Summer-leaves, depending on the season they are produced in and their size and form. If these plants were truly dormant, they would not be growing, at all. Many of these species also bloom while they are in Winter-form leaves, even from their subterranean rosettes. Again, this is not the behavior of a dormant plant. Many of these species bloom in both seasons, from Winter-form and Summer-form rosettes. For me this is a very desirable quality.

Very nice!

Crystal,
Looks like you have developed a very successful technique. Nice work.

Great pings.
Do they make a good root system in the APS?
I am having probs with shallow root sytems.

Great job, Crystal!

Thanks guys! I've had trouble growing Pings in the past. It's taken me awhile to find something that works for me.

Zero, in my opinion they make fairly good root systems. Here are a couple pictures of two Pings that I uprooted this afternoon to see how they are doing. The first has been growing in APS since the leaf cutting was taken, the second since I've had the plant (a few months)

IMG_0773.jpg

This one has struggled for awhile.
IMG_0775.jpg

Good job!

im with Joseph on it just being a transition between two types of leaves and most definatly not a true dormancy......

as far as producing a good root system in APS, from what i understand of Crystals technique, if she is letting the top of it dry out the pullings MUST produce a decent root system or else they would dry out....i grow some Mexican Pings in pure peat....or rather on pure peat that never drys out.....since the media is always wet and the space between the plant and the soil is always quite humid and as a result they never produce much of a root system at all and lots actually float on the soil with no real root system and they can be picked up and moved with no effort.....the plants get all their moisture from humidity....

It was spectacular, over time, you have a lot of seedlings.

Back