What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pinguicula gypsicola - Winter rosette size

Joseph Clemens

Staff member
Rosette's of Winter-form leaves can be quite large, the rosette in this photo, is 2.5 inches (6.35 cm) in diameter. Not counting the transitional leaves that are protruding beyond the compact Winter-form leaves:
P_gypsicola_small.jpg

Please share your observations of Winter rosettes of this species. I am interested in seeing how they vary in different conditions.

Hi Joseph,
I have 7 adult plants and the biggest is 1 3/8" in diameter.Yours is HUGE !!
Mine are all grown in APS/crushed coral/sand.I basically use your system but I don't have the jacked up flourescent tubes. Four of them are normal rosettes and three are in crestate form.My winter temps in the basement can get below 60 at night and I cut back the lighting some also.

HMMM,I'll have to work on the pics tomorrow

Mark,
Thanks for responding. Most of mine are usually much smaller too. This one, though the same clone as all my Pinguicula gypsicola, had remained larger than most for several cycles between Winter-form and Summer-form rosettes. Unfortunately during the recent dry spell I put my plants through, it was in a location where all the lights burnt out, the extended darkness was its death-knell. I am trying to duplicate the conditions I was growing it in with several others. They are an amazing species, and I appreciate having them in my collection.

This yogurt cup is two inches in diameter, so I'd say the winter rosette was about 1 inch.

IMG_0183.jpg

Mine looks like the one in your picture Joseph, but is only an inch across.

Your plants are looking very good, Joseph!!!

Back