What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

P. esseriana Flower

timbudtwo

Shoopdawoop
Haven't kept this ping yet, so this is my first flower. The second plants flower is about to bloom in the back. And if you look carefully, you can see the leaf pulling I am rooting laying on the sphagnum. Ole!

pingesser.jpg

Bravo. I'm curious to see how they perform - long-term with the Sphagnum as a substrate.

I'm curious: How do you manage to keep sphagnum alive in San Ramon? All of mine here in SJ burns badly when left exposed to the elements.

Kool Whip!

@ Brokken : You know, I was wondering that as well. Sphagnum here burns badly when left outside.

Joseph once suggested a layer of LFS under a layer of Perlite. The idea in mind is to provide both moisture and drainage. Or was it the other way around?

I'm curious: How do you manage to keep sphagnum alive in San Ramon? All of mine here in SJ burns badly when left exposed to the elements.

I don't grow my plants outside! The two times that I have tried Ive epic failed.
protip: don't let pots dry out during 100+ weather.

I've always grown mine indoors and never had an issue with sphagnum moss not growing out of control. Currently I'm running 2-175w metal halides. Im only keeping about 4 plants currently though. I remember back in petflytrap days, I would have about 40 plants under about 80 watts of fluorescent. Plants grew fine, but didn't display any coloring. Growth in sphagnum has been great. Its actually a sphagnum peat mix. Esseriana do pretty well in undrained containers, as well they also seem to be okay when there isnt a whole lot of water around. Their roots as the tiniest things!

Back