What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

P. moranensis problem.

I bought my moranensis back in Nov. and it was relatively small compared to the vendor's picture. Anyways, I live in a zone 9 and place my plant alongside my sundew and nep at my windowsill (the other two are doing great) and it still looks small. It rarely grows any new leaves and just looks sad and sickly. + Everytime I water it the leaves seem to shrivel up. Can anyone help me with this problem? :[

25rjmrq.png

20rjqu1.png

wow, you bought it 5 months ago and it looks like that? way better than i could do. if i had bought it, it would be dead now...

Based on the pictures the plant looks like it is in a winter rosette. Mine did the same thing a few back, i accidentally made it go into it's rosette form. The only thing I can suggest is letting the soil dry up a little bit in between watering and shorter photoperiods.
Also looking at your medium it does look a bit heavy on the vermiculite and perlite.
You can try using a mix of vermiculite, silica sand/perlite, and peat moss in even parts. This has worked very well for me.
If you'd like to bring it out of the rosette all I know is that you need to expand the photoperiod and keep the soil moist.

Is too much vermiculite bad?

Not necessarily, in the long run it can be as it breaks down just like perlite. The ping would be fine the way it is right now but a more even mix tends to give better results (I think) from my experience. Especially with Peat/sand/vermiculite.
I've seen better colors in the same plant with this mix then with 50/50 peat/perlite. Every grower has a his/her favorite mix.

Back