What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

P. 'George Sargent' hybrid issue:

Fryster

--Freedom Czar--
I have a P. ‘George Sargent’ hybrid that has been in its non-carnivorous phase for a little over a year. I kid you not. Part of its heritage in P. gypsicola, so I have consulted this page, but it’s not too much help.

http://www.pinguicula.org/pages/plantes/pinguicula_gypsicola.htm

What do I need to do to “wake it up” from its dormancy? More light? More heat? Less/more moisture? What? ??? I've always kept it plenty moist...so I'm plenty confused...

"Before and after" photos for reference:

P_George_Sargent.jpg

THANKS!

I am interested in this thread. Sorry I don't have the answer. That is a beautiful ping though.

Well, so far, I've been told by a grower that it needs to be kept wet with high humidity.

The odd thing is that it has been kept wet for all this time. But, the humidity has been rather low.

So...............I threw a baggie over it to increase the humidity.

I guess it's a waiting game (again). ;)

Darn those picky pings! My P. moranensis E is being really stubborn.

That is a pretty ping

If you have been growing the plant under relatively constant conditions, perhaps that is your problem. They may require some seasonal variation in day length and temperature. I seem to have no problems with these type of Pings. I grow them in my unheated greenhouse where winter temps get down to near freezing and summer temps near 100F. The plants get a day/night temperature fluctuation of 20 to 40F.

If I had just one plant that seemed to be stuck in "Winter-leaf mode" I would do several things. First, I would gently remove it from its pot and remove all old media from around the base of the plant. Second, I would gently pull away at least half of the older outer leaves and use them to propagate more plants. Last, I would repot the remaining part of the plant into new media and I would lightly dust the planting hole, before placing the plant into it, with dried insect dust.

After all that I would mist the plant and dust the leaf surfaces with a very light coating of dried insect powder. Then place it where the lights are on 24 hours per day, at least until I observed the changes I want.

Yup. I re-potted it into fresh media of APS/perlite/vermiculite/peat mix.

Didn't think to do any leaf-pullings but I did notice that it had virtually no root system, (but then, what ping really does?) so it is more-or-less sitting in a pit on the soil surface.

I also moved it closer to the lights two weeks ago and placed a clear baggie on the pot to increase the humidity. I do now see some fresh green succulent leaves emerging however. Would adding dried blood-worm on the plant be advantageous when in its succulent mode?

Photo period was 12 hours over winter and for the last six weeks it has been 14 hours. Soon I'll bump it up to 16 hours for the summer. I think that this might help as well. :)

For me just a very tiny amount of "food" (dried insect powder) seems to stimulate growth and change.

Here's an update:

I see definite new growth. I also sprinkled blood-worm dust on it too. (lightly)

GeorgeS02.jpg

Looks like we're the butterwort forum now... lol

If you look closely, the newer leaves seem to be a different type. Looks like it is picking up.

YUP!

I hope so too! :D

This has been one stubborn ping!

Update on 'George Sargent'.

It's waking up‼ :D

new_George_S.jpg

Bout time! Looks good.

Too bad you didn't remove more of those little scale-like older leaves, you'd have this one growing Summer leaves and dozens of other new plants by now.

Too bad you didn't remove more of those little scale-like older leaves, you'd have this one growing Summer leaves and dozens of other new plants by now.

REALLY?? I had thought about it but didn't want to stress out the plant any further than it was...

Will attempting propagation from the new summer leaves harm the mother plant any? Or would the Fall/Winter time be a more preferable time?

It looks like many of the Winter-form leaves are still there, under the new Summer-form leaves. I'd gently pluck a good bunch of them before they get any older (they release most eaily if you gently twist them as you pull down). If you were to use many of the Summer-form leaves, now, it will slow down the plant's continued development.

I will try that this weekend!

Thanks‼ :D

Back