What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question about gracilis x moctezumae

Baylorguy

"Oh, now he's a philosophizer"
I recently acquired a Pinguicula gracilis x moctezumae that appeared to be somewhat in its dry state. Well, since I received it, it has shrunk to a bit smaller than a penny. it is still green in the center, but looks to have gone into a deeper dormancy.

For those of you that grow this cross, is the dormancy bud typically this tight and small? Should I still treat it like the rest of my pings that are just now emerging from their dry phase? It's a beautiful plant and I would hate to lose it.

Phil

I would just keep it lit and hydrated.

Thanks Jim -

That is what I have been doing and so far it seems to be holding on. The other pings though such as P. rectifolia and P. 'Sethos' are getting bigger. Too bad this guy has a mind of its own!

Joseph Clemens just posted advice about repotting, taking numerous leaf cuttings, and leaving the light on for 24 hours.

In the spring, mine perked right up and exploded into growth after the substrate was moistened. You can't go wrong with moist soil and about a 13hr photoperiod for spring.

Rather than posting a new topic I thought I would add to this. To the ping experts... my P. Aprhodite has been getting strange marks on the leaves... almost appears to be burn marks. Does anyone know what this could be? It really shortens the life of the leaves and I fear it is weakening the plant. None of my other butterworts seem to have this problem.

Baylorguy81

Baylorguy81

bump for P. 'Aphrodite' help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Could it be some sort of rot?

Are you keeping the media a 'tad too wet??

Possibly Fryster, but this is the only ping it is happening to. Also, it does not seem to happen to every leaf. Everything else seems just fine. I have removed it from my lights and placed it on the windowsill where I will monitor it more closely. It's frustrating, because this is one of my favorite pings.

It looks a lot like my P. gigantea x P. moctezumae hybrid, which happens to be my favorite ping. ;) It looooves the fungus gnats.

(hybrid is on the right in photo, rather old photo too)

somehybridPings.jpg

Wow, very nice pings. That P. gigantea x P. moctezumae is really nice. I may have to try and get one eventually.

What compost are you using? Also, can you describe your growing conditions?

Thanks a bunch!

Phil

I've never seen that damage before. Is it possible that it has come into contact with some sprayed chemical? I would isolate it from your others immediately just in case.

Now that I think about it it is possible. I know pest control has been here a couple of times. The thing is none of the other plants have it. It seems to be hanging in there on my window sill. Thanks for the input Jim.

Hey Jim,

I have one of these guys too. I got it and it slowly lost its long dormant leaves. It soon shrank and slowly started to put out carnivorous leaves but very slowly. It is a very slow plant compared to my P. 'Sethos' and P. 'Pirouette'. Ill post pictures for you to see mine. Is your plant under direct bright light? I would just give it tons of light to allow it to make up its mind. Hope it turns out well though this plant is beautiful and very pink. Ill try to take tons of cuttings to ensure you have a back up :)

I have seen this kind of damage caused by mites, spider mites or cyclamen mite, possibly other pest mites too. Some mites are very difficult to see, even with magnification.

Thanks Joseph -

Unfortunately it continues to decline. I have it isolated from the other plants. Looks like I may need to get another one :(

Have you been spilling a lot of water on the leaves?
-I've noticed in the past that when a lot of water gets on the leaves, they tend to rot away.

Nope, I tray water. Besides, I think I would see signs of rot on the other plants if that were the case. P. Aphrodite is the only ping I have with these conditions.

Wow, very nice pings. That P. gigantea x P. moctezumae is really nice. I may have to try and get one eventually.

What compost are you using? Also, can you describe your growing conditions?

I just used a simple APS/perlite/vermiculite/peat mix in that old photo. I now use more peat in my mix. Having such an open-rocky mix encouraged mosses; and I hate mosses. I hose down everything now with a Neem oil solution. ;)

16 hour summer photoperiod, 30%-35% humidity.

Back