What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's the difference between P. 'Weser' and, P. moranensis (Huautla) x ehlersiae?

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
They both have the moransensi x ehlersiae in their name. Are they the same thing or different?

Picture030-3.jpg
P. moranensis (huautla) x ehlersiae

IMG_0111-1.jpg
P. moranensis (huautla) x ehlersiae (2007)

Picture036.jpg
P. 'Weser'

Sorry, no flowers for P. 'Weser'

Picture002-6.jpg

Picture001-4.jpg

I just received this plant on Wednesday, after being in the mail for 2 days. Incredibly, this flower continues to grow.

Last edited by a moderator:
The difference is that the cultivar P. 'Weser' are clones of one specific plant from a cross of P. moranensis and P. ehlersiae chosen for its unique and distinctive flower. The same goes for P. 'Sethos'.

I don't know if P. 'Sethos' and P. 'Weser' are offspring from the same parent plants but it is possible.

Last edited by a moderator:
P. 'Sethos' & P. 'Weser' are the same parents, but opposite gender contributing gametes. Know what I mean? What does the huautla refer to? Is it the same as 'Weser'?

Both 'Weser' and 'Sethos' are registered cultivars and the difference is in the flower. Most plants being grown as P. 'Weser' clearly do not meet the cultivar definition:
"Of these (hybrids) I would mention [Pinguicula ' Sethos ' {Hort.Slack}] ([[Pinguicula moranensis {H.B.K.}] * [Pinguicula ehlersiae {Speta & Fuchs}]]), a fine, very floriferous clone with large orchid-purple flowers with a many-rayed mouth like a white star; [Pinguicula ' Weser ' {Hort.Slack}], of the same parentage and with rather similar flowers, has a solitary white streak down the central lower lobe and dark veins."

For a scan of Slack's original article, see
http://wjclemens.com/cp_standards/pinguicula/Weser_Sethos/Weser_Sethos.htm

I believe that "huautla" is a location.

The culled pictures:

Picture021.jpg

Picture023-2.jpg

Picture011-3.jpg

Another blue flower!
Picture025-2.jpg

New picture:

Picture005-6.jpg

Back