What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I have a few pings -- 3 or 4 P. moranensis, P. "Yucca Do 1713", and hopefully soon, a P. x 'Titan'.

They are currently growing under my 4' long grow lights in a windowsill and seem to be pretty happy -- the D. moranensis got a dusting of Crushed, Dried bloodworms recently, as did the Yucca Do, and there are 3 small Moras in one of my new pots.

Anyway.

These are all mexican pings (although the Titan is a hybrid, I think it's half Mexican Ping too?) -- do I need to start thinking about dormancy later this year? The mora got a winter rosette on me (last winter) but was also pretty sickly all winter -- the new plants came from leaves that I pulled off in desperation, thinking the mother plant was doomed.

Any specific tricks to giving them a dormancy? I heard you just cut back on water, a lot. Is that a good plan?

Simple, when they start to form fall/winter/succulent leaves cut back the watering. Let the plants lead.

titan is full mexican ping o_O i dont think you can cross temperate pings with mexipings....
its agnata x ? the unknown father is thought to be moranensis.
my adult titan is finally flowering...first ping flower for me since i started CPs....go figure its just before i leave for a couple weeks haha.

My problem right now is my moranensis is really, really tiny and pissed off looking. The leaves are also kinda distorted a bit, instead of the nice teardrop shape they're more of a wavy bumpy shape now -- and it seems to be getting smaller. It might be the bloodworms causing the leaves I saturate them with to die off and the new leaves just grow bigger, but, I donno. I hope my initial predictions about it being bug-infested aren't true.

If the conditions they get in the windowsill do not lead to a natural dormancy (the temperatures and light, for example, will drop, but not severely) will they die like a VFT?

Light, water, critters, and time.... that's pretty much the formula for them. I'm finding that the occasional fungus gnat feeding frenzy, as ugly as it looks, has led to 3" plants.

Jim, where do you get the fungus gnats?

mcantrell, remember, it is not technically dormancy, but a leaf change, or succulent phase. Also, depending on your conditions, not all pings will change to this phase. Some on here grow them wet year round and do not have their plants enter the succulent phase. I agree with NAN - let the plants tell you what to do.

Phil

My worry is that if I don't change conditions to let them have a leaf change/dormancy period, they'll croak. I tend to grow them like tropicals all year round right now...

Maybe some pictures would help.

BTW, just noticed you are from Twin Falls. I was born there.

Jim, where do you get the fungus gnats?

They invited themselves in. More than happy to oblige!

I have recently received a clump of P. medusinae , 1 of the plants has no new growth and possibly smaller leaves compared to the others and has what appears to be a small greenish onion tuber thingy at its center. I am assuming it is going into dormancy . The others aren't doing this. Should I remove that one from the violet pot I have them in and plant it seperate so that it can remain a little drier. How dry should they get? D'Amato in SG says "bone dry" for the P. heterophylla which have read somewhere may be the same species as the P. medusina? Thanks.

Back