What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

P. gypsicola sprouts

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
Picture064.jpg

Picture065-1.jpg

Picture069.jpg

I like P. gypsicola. It's a very interesting plant.

And about your Genlisea: It got crushed and then sent back to me.

Nice work Jim,You''ll have a tray of them before you know it !!!!!!!

Thanks... what was weird was that one leaf appears tp have several sprouts. Am I seeing that right? The container of almost dry sand works better that placing individual leaves in various pots, that are more moist.

Also, what was that recipe of grams of rust to mLs of water? I put a couple pinches in a container and mixed water and then added it to the trays. It was like blood, in that a little bit goes a long way in coloring the water.I ended up draining the trays and refilling.

Well, I wouldn't know about rust since I don't use it, but it does looks like there are numerous sprouts originating from the tips of one leaf in picture #2.

Yup, lots of sprouts. Never had that before and don't using rooting hormone either.

Picture083-1.jpg

Hi Jim. I often get more than one growth point from a leaf pulling - I don't know what determines how many. These take longer to get bigger than a single growth point because the leaf's resources are shared between them all but, you can end up with more plants eventually!

This is my insurance policy. At some point I should be able to snip the plantlets from one another, right?

I wouldn't bother until the plantlets are smothering each other. Then, you should be able to pull them apart. Even then you will probably find that you can't easily pull them all apart without risk of damage. Be prepared to let the smallest be sacrificed, maybe.

Understood. They sure like it dry!

BTW, these are all "summer" leaves, dispelling the myth that winter leaves are the way to go. I've been taking leaf cuttings all along, as I need them. Winter leaves may be easier to work with but I just don't see any real difference in strike rates.

Here are pics of different sprouts, ones that sprouted in with the parent plant:

Picture012-1.jpg

Picture015-2.jpg

Picture016-6.jpg

Jim, you're going to end up with quite a few P. gypsicola plantlets.

How many have you counted?

With these, you don't "count your chickens". They can wither and die pretty easily. So far there are 6.

Picture002-10.jpg

About how big are the largest of the litter?

Half inch.

Back